Two unrelated questions - Trent Valley Line rolling stock and Intermodal Wagons

GarrettTheThief

These are questions about OO model intermodal wagons for pre-privatisation, and rolling stock for the Trent Valley line between Rugby and Stafford before the Euston-Crewe London Midland service was used.

For the former, which OO model intermodal wagon is closest to the common kind for late sectorisation?  Would the Bachmann container flats and new Hornby KFA wagons fit both sectorisation and privatisation?

For the latter question, I've tried searching on google with no luck.  I've seen some videos of Nuneaton and I occasionally see the odd first-generation DMU (including the Class 121/122 bubble car) and jumped to the conclusion that they serve the Trent Valley line, especially when I learn about their termini, but I hear that Class 3XX EMUs were also used.  Post-privatisation, I have no clue.  Is there anyone familiar with the stock on this line before the Class 350 Desiros came into service?

Thanks.

Hi

For the container flats, rtr you are closest with the KFA, the FIA from Bachmann would've appeared around '94 for channel tunnel /rfd services, and then EWS use. The deck is the wrong lengtht(too short 45ft) to represent freightliner operations, another option is to build the similar but 60ft deck FSA/FTA which some people have done out of the Bachmann model, as they look similar. Other wagons that appeared in the early nineties are the KQA/KTA pocket wagon and the FLA lowliner from Dapol and realtrack respectively. The FFA/FGA traditional freightliner flat is available as a kit from colin craig, looks good, so long as your handy with a soldering iron!

As for what i think are also called the trent valley stoppers by some, for a while before the 350 desiros i think they stopped running altogether, before this i can remember a 153 in central trains being used, i have a pic of one at rugeley tv circa 2003 somewhere, don't know anything before then though however.

hth

Chris

Thank you both for your replies.

Hi

For the container flats, rtr you are closest with the KFA, the FIA from Bachmann would've appeared around '94 for channel tunnel /rfd services, and then EWS use. The deck is the wrong lengtht(too short 45ft) to represent freightliner operations, another option is to build the similar but 60ft deck FSA/FTA which some people have done out of the Bachmann model, as they look similar. Other wagons that appeared in the early nineties are the KQA/KTA pocket wagon and the FLA lowliner from Dapol and realtrack respectively. The FFA/FGA traditional freightliner flat is available as a kit from colin craig, looks good, so long as your handy with a soldering iron!

As for what i think are also called the trent valley stoppers by some, for a while before the 350 desiros i think they stopped running altogether, before this i can remember a 153 in central trains being used, i have a pic of one at rugeley tv circa 2003 somewhere, don't know anything before then though however.

hth

Chris

That was hugely helpful so thank you.

So, I can run my old Hornby flats early sectorisation for Freightliner operations (and probably use the Hornby models modified and repsrayed), Bachmann intermodal wagons with RFD (late sectorisation) and later EWS/DB, and the new Hornby KFA wagons for late Freightliner operations.  There is a fair bit of stock required but I don't mind getting it and putting the work in.  Container card kits are a godsend.  I'll obviously need to check the companies to ensure that they actually exist during certain times too.

I was going to take many liberties with freight but I want to do the intermodal trains properly.  Saying that, I'm still building two custom (and non-prototypical) rakes -  one with various ferry vans from RFD Continental and private companies, and one with 100 ton tankers of various makes which I plan to run alongside tanktainers.

I've taken note of what you said regarding Trent Valley services.  I'm happy to go on a whim and use the first generation DMUs for them.  I've seen a picture of a Class 122 Midline bubble car at Nuneaton on it way to Stafford so it makes sense.

I can't answer either question, but for 2 topics, its best to start 2 threads otherwise the answers to one question can be hidden amongst the dross - so to speak.

I was originally averse to creating more than one thread in a short time span but if it's okay, I'll do that in the future.  Thanks for the heads up.

Archived