Anyone tried these 6v gear motors?

dajt

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried motors like these, 6v gear motors. Great range of reductions, and small. And only need 6v -would be good for us battery on board advocates ;).

I was thinking one of them paired with some bevel gears to get the drive going the right way might be a good combination and much cheaper than most of what we use.

Any opinions?

Regards,

David.

Hi David,

I'm from the US and this is my first post.

I've had the oppertunity to try one of their motors. I'm using it to turn the turret of an Athearn HO scale 200 ton wreck crane. They are very smoth motors and would definatly use them again. Some time in the future I'm looking to using one in an HOn30 project.

Regards,

Bernd

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried motors like these, 6v gear motors. Great range of reductions, and small. And only need 6v -would be good for us battery on board advocates ;).

I was thinking one of them paired with some bevel gears to get the drive going the right way might be a good combination and much cheaper than most of what we use.

Any opinions?

Regards,

David.

Hi David,

I believe they would fine with batteries. They have a very low amperage need and the gearing gives the motor quite a bit of power applied to the wheels.

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

I'm wondering about using them in locos. 6v sounds good for a loco carrying a battery on board.

Regards,

David.

These are the motors I use in my radio controlled lorries, or which they are perfect. I suspect however, they may lack sufficient torque at low speed for locos - I bought a couple with that in mind - but I was thinking 0 Gauge!

However, it is well worth the try - they are available cheap on eBay, and you can get plastic bevel gears for about 40p each.

Thanks Giles.

I build 7mm too. I'll have a look on ebay. I was going to get the gears from HPC but their online ordering page doesn't work for the bevel gear part numbers. I'll check ebay for them too, but I figured the HPC ones would be pretty good and not too expensive.

Regards,

David.

• RMweb Premium

I concur with Giles.  Great little units and after I've finished my RC lorry then one of these will find its way into a semi scratch build 7mm Ruston 88DS - it will be DCC so I can limited the max voltage through setting the appropriate CV on the decoder.

Bevel gears available from: (as are similar types of motor/gearboxes - but they are much cheaper direct from China off eBay)

http://www.technobotsonline.com/gears/plastic-model-gears.html

Hi,
I've used a 12V 1200rpm version of these that can be found on eBay for under £5 from Hong Kong to power some Lima class 20. I'm modelling a MGR working and needed together high torque low speed running to haul my heavy laden hoppers. I initially used the 900rpm.version but the top speed was a tad low!
I've also fitted a 300 r[m one in an old Hornby class 08 originally fitted with an X04 that was on it's last legs. This gives incredible low speed torque just like the prototype. It fitted without major headaches, but a little Heath Robinson perhaps using a strip of aluminium and two small cable ties.
On thing though, initially I used DC control but found that the motors never actually stopped! I'm DCC now and the response is brilliant now. They are a tad Whiney, but on the 20's this almost sounds like the chopper's turbo whistle at times!

There are quite a few sellers listing this type, in a range of reductions and sizes, pretty good valure, though I don't know what sort of lifespan they have yet.
Another eBay find at the time was a miniature solenoid which I've fitted to the infamous Hornby 'automatic' decouples they fitted to this particular version of 08. Previously you needed to slam it from full speed to a halt to make the weight activate the decoupler, but now it's on a function key!
Enough of my waffle...
TTFN,
Ben

I have had a look at these motor and gearbox's and if used with a 1;1 ratio helical gearbox (do Slater's still do one?) should make for a very smooth set up in O gauge.

They also do some 12 volt motor and gearbox combos as well. The down side is the motor is 37mm dia.

OzzyO. 

PS. I've just had a look on Slater's web site and they do a 3;1 helical gear box that could maybe used with these motor and gearbox's.

Hi,

Sounds encouraging guys :)

I've ordered a 120RPM at 6v motor and some bevel gears (1:1) to change the direction of drive. Not too happy with the bevel gears but I could only find cheap or really expensive. The bevel gears are 3mm bore so fit the motor shaft, and have enough to bore out to 3/16" for the axle.

Regards,

David.

Archived