A prototype for everything ?

Here's another example from a little more recently (1989):

post-6409-0-76723700-1361707312_thumb.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59330122@N05/8502369155/

This train took me by surprise and appeared from behind a class 91/Mk 3 sleeping car test train formation which was stabled in the down sidings adjacent to Doncaster station.

The Class 110 DMSL/Mk 2 BSO combination was running as ECS, and from my hazy memories headed off in the direction of Leeds - perhaps back to Neville Hill depot. I have no idea why it was running in this formation, although I would be surprised if it had been used in service formed as such.

Note that the BSO has as traditional oil tail lamp - quite unusual by 1989.

Cheers

Tom.

post-6409-0-76723700-1361707312_thumb.jpg

Here's another example from a little more recently (1989):

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59330122@N05/8502369155/

The Class 110 DMSL/Mk 2 BSO combination was running as ECS, and from my hazy memories headed off in the direction of Leeds - perhaps back to Neville Hill depot. I have no idea why it was running in this formation, although I would be surprised if it had been used in service formed as such.

Perhaps the DMU power car was also ECS from wherever the BSO originated and someone had the idea to use it as motive power for the move rather than tying up a more conventional diesel locomotive.

Could even have an advantage over a regular (single-cabbed) diesel locomotive in that it had two engines, so a failure in one wouldn't strand the consist.

There is a thread running on Robert Carroll's coaching stock Yahoo group triggered by the photo that Brian found.  We may find that coupling loco hauled stock to dmus was more common than supposed.  My favourite [so far] is a bubble car hauling, or trying to haul, a non-corridor brake composite out of Kingsbridge in 1962.  This is illustrated in Railway Bylines for October 2011.

Chris

There is a photo in 1st Generation Diesel Multiple Units of a unit at Paddington in the early 60s with what appears to be a GWR compartment coach (don't ask me what type as I know nowt about GWR coaches at all so couldn't even try and identify it).  Conversely I was looking the other day at a photo in Scarborough of a 7 coach loco hauled train (EE type 3) comprised of 4 driving trailers, 1 Met Cam centre car and 2 standard mk1s (TSO and BSO?), my guess being a relief train cobbled together at short notice with a shortage of available standard stock. 

I must try and remember where I saw the footage of a bubble car being used as station pilot at Darlington Bank Top, certainly worth a laugh it was!

• RMweb Gold

Here's another interesting view: http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?page=1&serial=17&img=65-009-33  (a milk tank behind a single-unit DMU).

Bill

Tail traffic was still relatively common in the early days of WR dmu working - the most unusual were probably loaded Conflats which could be found on at least a couple of West Country branches.

On the subject of DMUs and tail traffic:

Rail Enthusiast August 1982 had a picture of Class 121 DMU 55027 + departmental coach KDW150266 arriving at Taunton on page 51.

Rail Enthusiast October 1982 had a list of the 11 DMU services on the LMR that were (still) allowed to tow vans and the trailing weights allowed on page 59.

Hope this helps.

Archived