Loss of Acceleration/Deceleration on Howes 3.5 chip

Rick_Skateboard

Hello all.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me. I have a Howes unrefurbished class 37 sound project on a Loksound 3.5 decoder and I have been fitting an Express Models lighting kit. When I wired it up function 15 was operating one of the Aux functions and giving me control of the tail lights at one end. I couldn't seem to get control of the other Aux function for the tail lights at the other end. I blundered into changing the CVs for function 14 to get control of the other Aux function and got my other tail lights working, but now the loco sounds stay at idle all time when I drive it around... Looking at the Howes instructions F14 is 'Acceleration/Deceleration'. I'm hoping I haven't written over the sounds and someone can tell me how to get them back as they were and maybe assign the tail lights to a different function. For example F12 is 'Guard's whistle', which I could live without. The changes I made were CV 225 = value 4, CV 228 = value 4, CV 231 = value 8 and CV 234 = value 8, as per the chart in this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28889-activating-aux1-aux2-on-a-loksound-decoder/ .

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Rick

• RMweb Gold

See page 16 (4.3) note it also confirms the sounds are safe.

http://www.esu.eu/uploads/tx_esudownloads/524xx_LokSound_V35_ESUKG_US_Betriebsanleitung_Auflage_IV_ebook_01.pdf

If you intend getting a few loksound decoders the lokprogrammer is a worthwhile purchase as it makes reallocating function buttons simple with just a few clicks. Other programmers like SPROG might now have simplified tables for function allocation now too but as I've got the Esu one I haven't fired up the SPROG to see.

Thanks for that. I tried putting CV 08 to a value of 08 and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I have also realised that I hadn't lost the sounds but I now have F14 controlling an aux function AND the acceleration/deceleration. So when the lights are on the engine noises stay at idle. I hope that makes sense! I need to find out how to get the aux function off function 14 and onto another function (ideally 12).

Rick

The JMRI files for the LokSound V3.5 are pretty good, and should be more than adequate to adjust a V3.5.   

The V4 is a different beast (5120 individual function allocation options), and whilst function allocation does sort of work in JMRI for the V4, its something which is better done manually with a big spreadsheet, or with a LokProgrammer.  There is someone coding up a new programmer for the V4 within JMRI, but its such a complex decoder that it's taking time.    Other parts of V4 adjustment in JMRI (such as speed curves, brake behaviour, volume settings, light flash rates, etc..) should be pretty good.

Back at F14 on a LokSound V3.5, and the manual referenced earlier.  See table of CV's at rear of manual.   Function allocation is in little blocks of three CV's, each block of three controls features allocated to a given key in either forwards or reverse.  So for both directions there are blocks of six CV's. 

For F14, these are from CV225 to CV230.  

CV225 and CV228 are the Outputs controlled by F14 in forwards and reverse respectively.  For AUX1, they would take a value of 4.  To have no outputs controlled by F14, set both CV's to Zero.

CV226 and CV229 are the Behaviours controlled by F14 in forwards and reverse.   For the Accel command they have a value of 1.  To remove all Behaviours, set both CV's to Zero.

CV227 and CV230 are the Sound Slots controlled by F14 in forwards and reverse.   If you want a sound to play on that button, it takes a value of probably 1 to 16, which slot depends on the author of the project.  If wanting no sound on that button, set both to Zero. 

F12 is also controlled by a block of six CV's;  CV213 to CV218.   So, for the AUX1 on F12, set CV213 and CV216 to 4,  and set CV's 214,215,217,218 to Zero.    If only wanting AUX1 in one direction, then only set one of the CV's.

I recommend reading the values of CV's and recording them before making changes.

- Nigel 

So, for example, could Aux 1 control tail lights at one end in forward [on/off] and the other end in reverse [on/off] leaving the other Aux function available to do the same sort of thing with cab lights? I didn't realise that was possible, it means I can make more use of the 2 functions.

Here's a picture of the loco in question with the tail lights on.

post-1855-0-67460500-1361732015_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Rick

So, for example, could Aux 1 control tail lights at one end in forward [on/off] and the other end in reverse [on/off] leaving the other Aux function available to do the same sort of thing with cab lights? I didn't realise that was possible, it means I can make more use of the 2 functions.

No, you've got it back to front.   The Function Key F12 could control AUX1 when the loco is set to forward direction and AUX2 when the loco is set to the reverse direction. 

There are ways of using one function output to indicate "direction" and use that to control whether the others work.  But, that requires some additional hardware (transistor switches), and always costs at least one output for the direction control. I can't see this being useful with only four outputs on a LokSound V3.5 - if needing more outputs you'll have to add a second decoder. 

- Nigel

Archived