Midland/LMS 3 plank wagon lettering

57xx

• RMweb Gold

I've build up a Slaters Midland Railway 3 plank wagon, got it painted up and it's ready for lettering. I'm doing it in LMS livery with the 18" high lettering but having trouble finding any prototype photos. I've got RJ Essery's "The LMS Wagon" book, but it only has one 3 plank wagon photo in post 1936 livery. Any help with finding a prototype reference is much appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

The place to look is in the Bob Essery Midland Wagons book, Volume 1.

There are a number of photos of the 3 plank wagons in LMS livery, which also happen to have some superb weathering as a bonus!

Cheers,

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the responses chaps.

Ian, I should've been a bit clearer in my request. I know about the grey livery pre-1936 and the location of the number, tare etc. It was the positioning of the L, M and S that I want to pin down. I have seen a couple of pictures of models that all differ, hence looking for the prototype pic rather than "modelling a model".

Tony, ah so I bought the wrong book then! At least it's useful for other references (D1666 opens etc). I may have to join the local library though after seeing the price being asked for Essery's Midland wagon book!  :O  :O

Archived