Cutting and joining track

mopar

A Razor say will get you the straighter and more narrow cut than a Slitting disk in mini drill. 

Sometimes much quicker and more convenient as well.

I use a razor saw every time on the scenic section though for rough cutting in fiddle yards I sometimes use a mini drill

Simon

An old (very old indeed) trick is to get a block of wood with two saw cuts at track gauge and put this over the top of the rails when you're sawing them. It will help to keep everything together. Also cut one rail at once, don't try sawing across them both together.

I use a large pair of side cutters (9" ones in old money)and then file the rail ends to take off the burrs, I do not like using a disc as I think it is not suitable for soft metals and tends to drag the metal rather than cut, plus the only time I tried it the disc broke plus two more so gave up! and used the cutters. I do use a razor saw for laid and ballasted track that needs to be altered and then file the rail ends to take off any burrs.

regards

mike g

As my razor saw is getting on for too blunt to cut hot butter, I've mostly used the piercing saw to chop up the track for the current project. I get through a few blades but they're pennies each so that's not really a concern. The Draper dremel-alike thing is ok in it's place but it's easy to make a mistake and it's a lot of noise and fuss when you're tracklaying in front of the telly with family (the joy of micro-layouts).

Archived