RMweb

5 Related 00 Gauge 90's Wagon Projects. FFA/FGA, FSA, FLA, Containers, and PJA 4s

Very cool there. I've yet to pursuade Steph of the value of a pillar drill.

Phil

You need to get one, no excuses not to! Almost best present ever! (best present ever was the 15inch Peacock Bass she got me for valentines day a few years ago, he was a monster)

post-9147-0-97499900-1366812420_thumb.jpg

Of course there was the option of 'hobby' grade pillar drill, but for the extra 12 quid it was rude not to go for the industrial grade option :-) If the state of my vice is anything to go by i don't think it'll stay that clean for long. Just after taking the picture though i did decide to give the rest of the bench a quick tidy up.

If tomorrow's quiet i'll start reducing the FFA/FGA bogie mounts.

I'm almost tempted to just go and drill random holes in pieces of wood right now.....

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 5

You need to get one, no excuses not to! Almost best present ever! (best present ever was the 15inch Peacock Bass she got me for valentines day a few years ago, he was a monster)

attachicon.gifDSCF3116.JPG

Of course there was the option of 'hobby' grade pillar drill, but for the extra 12 quid it was rude not to go for the industrial grade option :-) If the state of my vice is anything to go by i don't think it'll stay that clean for long. Just after taking the picture though i did decide to give the rest of the bench a quick tidy up.

If tomorrow's quiet i'll start reducing the FFA/FGA bogie mounts.

I'm almost tempted to just go and drill random holes in pieces of wood right now.....

Very nice; if you're using it for anything heavier than drilling out rivets in models, I'd get a vice that sits on the table to hold the workpiece. I've twice been caught by the workpiece swinging round when the drill stuck; first one was my fault, as I didn't use the one provided, but the second one was the case of there not being one. In both cases it was painful..

Very nice; if you're using it for anything heavier than drilling out rivets in models, I'd get a vice that sits on the table to hold the workpiece. I've twice been caught by the workpiece swinging round when the drill stuck; first one was my fault, as I didn't use the one provided, but the second one was the case of there not being one. In both cases it was painful..

Thanks for the tip on that. We did look at those but then decided if i waited until fathers day then she'd know what to tell the kids to get me. I've got a couple of good sized sets of mole grips i'm going to improvise with in the mean time, other than the FFA/FGA bogie mounts i don't have any imediate heavy jobs planed that will need it yet.

Height reduction starts.

This was the first one, i think i will find a source of very thin spacer washers as the bogies are now very tight to the wagon body:

post-9147-0-27160300-1366892217_thumb.jpg

The Pillar drill technique worked ok on most of the flats as long as it was done with care. The plastic on the older flats was quite brittle however and prefered a shattering technique rather than a smooth drilling technique! One with 'Traing' stamped on the bottom was especially un-receptive to being worked on and if i can't clean it up will be swapped with one of the flats in the FSA pile.

Here's a before and after comparrison on one that worked very well anyway:

post-9147-0-17190200-1366892228_thumb.jpg

Destruction complete, the construction phase can start now :-)

THAT IS ALL.

• Like 3

You were lucky not to have more of those crumble during drilling than you did- a lot of plastic from around the early 1970s is quite fragile. I even had some old Ian Kirk wagon kits from the period which started to crumble when I detached the parts from the sprue.

Good to see someone else has a sensibly-sized bench vice (Record 84)- mine must be 50+ years old. I made some 'soft jaws' from aluminium angle for mine to give a smoother surface than the serrated ones.

I was lucky enough to be given some spare jaw inserts for mine for a softer finish. when the current pair are worn out there's more replacements in the tool kit :-)

Edit: probably should add something about the wagons. I did briefly consider removing the mounting points completely and just using washers to space down to the bogie. Will see what happens when it comes to re-fitting time.

• 2 weeks later...

Container update:

Probably should leave this stage to the guys with the airbrushes! (Alan, Phil, you wonderful people!) Brush painted c-rail 40ft drybox kit, screws in roof fitted during construction for WL compatability.

post-9147-0-35264000-1367762866_thumb.jpg

To me (and correct me if i'm talking crubbish) the uneven finish from brushing helps it look a little aged. Bits are still drying though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Container update:Probably should leave this stage to the guys with the airbrushes! (Alan, Phil, you wonderful people!) Brush painted c-rail 40ft drybox kit, screws in roof fitted during construction for WL compatability.attachicon.gifDSCF3207.JPGTo me (and correct me if i'm talking crubbish) the uneven finish from brushing helps it look a little aged. Bits are still drying though.

it's better than i could do by hand.

when you get your next lot made give me a shout and i'll airbrush them for you

it's better than i could do by hand.

when you get your next lot made give me a shout and i'll airbrush them for you

Cheers bud. Not sure how far down the line that's going to be, but i suspect they'll be 30ft jobs.

It's dried to quite a pleasing rough finish for a battered box, but would prefer the others to be smoother.

Finishing up the white container.

'Tropical Shipping Lines' normally seen on routes from the Carribean to America, a little lost having made it into 4mm scale UK.

Personally it's my first attempt ever at applying transfers and is off a sheet of personally created transfers for containers that are not yet comercially available in 4mm and is a bit of a test to see how well they apply. Stand by for lots of unique containers coming soon to here and Warren Lane!

post-9147-0-33722100-1368090261_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-11838500-1368090274_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-00214500-1368090285_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Cheers bud. Possibly, it depends whether i've managed to get hold of anymore boxes by then to re-do.

The 'Tropical' transfer is the less neat of all the different ones i've printed off so that does bode well for the rest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers bud. Possibly, it depends whether i've managed to get hold of anymore boxes by then to re-do.

The 'Tropical' transfer is the less neat of all the different ones i've printed off so that does bode well for the rest.

if you can let me know a couple days before so i can get it ready.

• Like 1

hawkingetippyd, on 09 May 2013 - 20:08, said:

if you can let me know a couple days before so i can get it ready.

No worries, will do.

On containers, the drill/guide combo makes this part of the job so much easier and quicker!

post-9147-0-20132600-1368192446_thumb.jpg

As much as i like my 3 matching Evergreen high-cube boxes 2 of them are being prepped for a greater cause...

As the wife's out, figured i'd break out my posing plank and containers for a little test on how the new boy fits in stacked up with comercial ones:

post-9147-0-70474600-1368192559_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-44223000-1368192570_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-00576600-1368192581_thumb.jpg

My standards are quite low but i think that's quite convincing. Just need to 'seal' it some how for a uniform finish.

• Like 2

Nice containers!

Where do you get the container crane from? Thanks.

Tom

Kibri.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121107557581?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130901791301?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Got it ebay from Germany (worked out a little cheaper than UK prices) It's a fantastic model, comes with base plate tracks and has all the same operational movements as the Heljan crane but without motors :-( The grabber is adjustable too for different length boxes.

Kibri also do a good range of reach-stackers and other container lifters.

Edit: forgot to add, the crane can have it's legs configured to different spacing arrangements: 1,5,1 1,4,2 2,4,1 or 2,3,2. Mines on 2,4,1 in those pictures, 2,3,2 makes it roughly the same as the grey Lima crane.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No worries, will do.

On containers, the drill/guide combo makes this part of the job so much easier and quicker!

attachicon.gifDSCF3216.JPG

As much as i like my 3 matching Evergreen high-cube boxes 2 of them are being prepped for a greater cause...

As the wife's out, figured i'd break out my posing plank and containers for a little test on how the new boy fits in stacked up with comercial ones:

attachicon.gifDSCF3219.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3222.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3223.JPG

My standards are quite low but i think that's quite convincing. Just need to 'seal' it some how for a uniform finish.

No worries, will do.

attachicon.gifDSCF3216.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3219.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3222.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3223.JPG

coat of clear dull coat airbrushed over the complete container?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've not forgotten my wagon projects, i've just been busy!

A little one i have started recently as a bit of a break is trying to attempt a rough likeness for this refridgerated container:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightlinercontainer/h5ca0c72a#h5ca0c72a

I say a likeness as it's a much older design than the modern comercially available offerings and i'm not that anal that i want to copy properly down to the last detail. However i do still want it to be a standard 8ft6in high 40ft long refridgerated container.

I've already created decals for the panda and 'COSCO' lettering and the smaller numbers and letters will be made up from some spare c-rail transfers. The big problem is the only 40ft 'reefers' comercially available are 9ft6in tall high-cubes, and the only 8ft6in tall reefers comercially available are 20ft long.

To solve this problem, i've come up with a hopefully workable solution (it's still work in progress so i don't know how succesful it will be yet.)

The pictures start halfway through construction, so far the main required elements have been a c-rail 20ft reefer kit, and an old Hornby/Triang 30ft smooth sided container.

The c-rail container is cut in half at the middle.

post-9147-0-45336500-1373636534_thumb.jpg

The 30ft container has been in my 30ft Heljan adaption jig and had bolts added for weight and to make it Warren Lane compatible if the finished result comes up to standard. After that 2cm (a scale 5ft) was cut off from each end to remove the doors and back wall. Turns out the top of this container was not held on in the middle but that's ok, it'll make putting it all together easier.

post-9147-0-97372000-1373636580_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-24408100-1373636570_thumb.jpg

Remaing 20ft of Hornby and the 20ft of c-rail = 40ft! placed in my 40ft drilling jig to make sure it's correct. There's some slight gaps but these will be resolved later.....somehow.

post-9147-0-56633300-1373636591_thumb.jpg

Next some left over sprues from a kit of suitable length are stuck to the inside to start joining everything together. The seperate floor for the c-rail container is cut in half then all the bits get some glue, form a very rough 40ft box and get put in the 40ft jig to keep them in place while they set.

post-9147-0-79967100-1373636601_thumb.jpg

I probably next look at padding the gaps with some plasticard then having my first attempt with some filler to get it all smoothed down.....Not sure when, don't rush me! I might finish a project one day.

• Like 2

watching this thread with interest as i was wanting a set of containers for my planned layout set in the late 80s/early 90s. so i could use the Hornby KFAs, and the RealTrack FLAs if I modify them to 5 car "units". 

would these two types have ever run together? 

In theory yes they would have. Progress has been a little slow recently on the larger wagon projects as the Warren Lane boards need to be ready and working first so there's still no completed painted FLA 5 set to show or any construction on the FFA/FGA sets. For your period of interest, FFA/FGA 2 to 5 sets would be the most common wagons about.

• Like 1

thanks - so FFAs are the old Hornby ones (which i think are the same as the new Hornby Railroad)? where would i get S-Kits detailing packs from? they seem to still be trading but no website or contact that i can find

Edited by sub39h

thanks - so FFAs are the old Hornby ones (which i think are the same as the new Hornby Railroad)? where would i get S-Kits detailing packs from? they seem to still be trading but no website or contact that i can find

16 Barrow Road,  Sileby,  Loughborough, Leicestershire , LE12 7LP

He relies on snail-mail, but service is normally very good.