5 Related 00 Gauge 90's Wagon Projects. FFA/FGA, FSA, FLA, Containers, and PJA 4s

Cartics!

Here's the first set in it's nice paint job earning the hours put into it. I really should get the other 3 sets finished and then sort out the mesh sides for them all.

post-9147-0-88310000-1432565894_thumb.jpg

to put into context what silly idea modelling cartics is, only 1 set was required for the Warren Lane speedlink services because 2 would have been too long for the fiddle yards (and WL isn't a small layout!). All 4 sets behind a 47 would require a 12ft storage track (or 13ft behind a pair of 37s)

No, I don't know why I wanted to make 4 sets either.

post-9147-0-88826700-1432565956_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 7 months later...

Cars for Cartics question! Would the load always be 1 manufacturer in a block train? I.e all Ford or all Rover, etc? Or would there be occasions of mixed manufacturers if they were cars for export? Could anything British Leyland end up mixed? Minis, Rovers, Land Rovers, Austin, Triumph, etc?.....ok, maybe not Land Rovers in cartics but you get the idea! How about imports? Peugeot, Citreon, VW, etc, would they end up mixed from port to area of distribution?

FFA FGA update: a few months ago, Wild Boar Fell sent me a checky teasing FFA (inner?) 3d print. Very nice it is too! Now just need to get him to send some more......

FLAs: 2x 5 sets saw use on the layout formally known as Warren Lane, 3 sets were worked on in total, they'll still see use when 'Wulfruna' is finished.

FSA/FTA: Still on hold but a couple would be useful still. So many other projects to play with they are low on the list!

• Like 1

Cars for Cartics question! Would the load always be 1 manufacturer in a block train? I.e all Ford or all Rover, etc? Or would there be occasions of mixed manufacturers if they were cars for export? Could anything British Leyland end up mixed? Minis, Rovers, Land Rovers, Austin, Triumph, etc?.....ok, maybe not Land Rovers in cartics but you get the idea! How about imports? Peugeot, Citreon, VW, etc, would they end up mixed from port to area of distribution?

FFA FGA update: a few months ago, Wild Boar Fell sent me a checky teasing FFA (inner?) 3d print. Very nice it is too! Now just need to get him to send some more......

FLAs: 2x 5 sets saw use on the layout formally known as Warren Lane, 3 sets were worked on in total, they'll still see use when 'Wulfruna' is finished.

FSA/FTA: Still on hold but a couple would be useful still. So many other projects to play with they are low on the list!

There was one well-known 'mixed' car train, albeit from different bits of the same firm. This was the 'Rover' train, which originated at Longbridge and ran to Lonato, north of Turin. It started with a rake of double-deck carriers from Longbridge, loaded with the Minis that were produced thehre at the time. At near-by Bordesely, flat wagons carrying Land-Rovers of various types, including Defenders, Range-Rovers, Freelanders and Discovery. A final pick-up was made at Hinksey yard, where a section carrying Rover saloons and estates from nearby Cowley was added. The whole train then went via Dolland's Moor, across France, to Italy.

The train was operated on behalf of Rover by MAT; the initial wagons used were Autics and Comtics from their fleet. STVA then bought MAT, who added double-decked (as per-Bachmann) twin wagons and Cartic-4s for the cars, and an assortment of single deck wagons, allowing the train to run daily.

When Rover broke up, the train ran as a less-frequent Land Rover train- LR had a big contract with the Italian government to provide 4x4s for the Police, Customs, Fire Brigade, Forestry and military, so trains would carried ready-liveried vehicles for all of these, usually mixed together, and interposed with civilian types.

Sadly, a combination of the break up and the first 'stow-away' crisis caused the train's demise. It had been the Channel Tunnel's first 'national freight' service. The first run was diverted via the Train Ferry, as the Safety Authority delayed granting Eurotunnel's operating licence. My wife was the person resposible for signalling the first train that did go through the Tunnel, whilst I believe Ernie (Bigbee Line) was in the loco.

Apart from this, I can't think of any automotive service that contained the output of several different plants in one flow. An earlier BL service had carried British Leyland cars and light vans to Bathgate, returning with Leyland commercials from the Bathgate plant

One further note about the 'Italian Job'; though the train was ostensibly a block working, the return formation was slightly different. The single-deck wagons and the Cartics returned together, and about twice a week, northbound workings would run, for Fiat, using the Autics and STVA twins. This was because the Italian factory didn't have double-deck ramps for loading, and these two types had top decks that could be raised and lowered to allow them to be loaded from a single level.

Thanks Brian, that actually sounds pretty spot on for what I'd like. A mix of minis and then flats for defenders works much better for me than f*rds. Thanks.

I modelled some of the single-deck wagons, and loaded them with a selection of Caramama Land-Rovers (it was before Oxford were available). Proudly, I turned up at Wade Towers, to test-run them on Tonbridge West Yard; my pride was short-lived, as the first test ended up with the wagons on their sides. This was followed by a laconic comment of 'I can see why they call Landies off-roaders' from one of the gang.

A lot of the Defenders were fully liveried-up for the various Italian services; a rake with 'Vigilia de Fuoco'(Fire Brigade), Dogna (Customs), Guardia Finanzia (think armed VAT-men!)and others looked very bizarre travelling through Kent.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

How's the ffa/fga coming along?

Well I still have the sole ffa inner from Wild Boar Fell, been waiting to hear from him on the possibility of some more to work on. The single that I have I'm thinking of turning into a fgb/fjb. If I can get him to run off some more as well, then using the s-kits detailing parts I have combined with the bogies and other parts then I'd like to rustle up an fga-ffa-ffa-fga 4 set also. I have a good 6 weeks of modelling evenings coming up in June and July while I'm away on a training course, these and the fsa/fta flats are high on my list for then, awaiting parts!

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Well I still have the sole ffa inner from Wild Boar Fell, been waiting to hear from him on the possibility of some more to work on. The single that I have I'm thinking of turning into a fgb/fjb. If I can get him to run off some more as well, then using the s-kits detailing parts I have combined with the bogies and other parts then I'd like to rustle up an fga-ffa-ffa-fga 4 set also. I have a good 6 weeks of modelling evenings coming up in June and July while I'm away on a training course, these and the fsa/fta flats are high on my list for then, awaiting parts!

How did this go?

• 3 weeks later...

sounds good

• 11 months later...

I knew this thread was still hiding somewhere!

FJA got done using the wbf frame and s-kits ends. I properly covered building it.... somewhere else....

post-9147-0-33739600-1511020476_thumb.jpg

Got a Bachmann FFA/FGA 4 set on order to cover that front.

PJA 4s are still in the same state waiting to get finished.

A 2nd and 3rd FLA set were finished, I think set 2 saw 1 outing a couple of years ago and haven't been used since!

I worked out the dimensions for attempting an etched FSA/FTA deck using a contact of Alan's, we even worked out a pricing and minimum run.... then we never heard anything back. So the wait continues...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Those that look at my slow progress layout thread will know that a week or so ago I picked up a second hand FSA pair which had been built by someone else (shameless plug for Great Eastern Models who had them and thought of me). A bit of a gamble really as it became quickly obvious that the containers had been glued to the decks and it was anyone's guess what was underneath. Here they are in the distance before distruction began :)

post-9147-0-49487900-1515958568_thumb.jpg

After a closer inspection, they have been based on Bachmann FIAs (50ft deck intermodal twins) which have been cut and extended. The stuck down containers were helping to hold them together but fortunately weren't integral to them not falling apart. The containers have also been very well weathered already so that's a plus.

The inner ends were still the original FIA format of a single buffer on each flat and an nem coupling bar holding the 2 together. FSAs however have standard draw gear and buffers on the inners, mounted below deck level, so this needed addressing. The stuck down containers were also hiding the fact that the deck top doesn't look like an FSA or have any container mounting points.

post-9147-0-23309900-1515958425_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-29573300-1515959069_thumb.jpg

First simple job to tackle; nem kadees for the outer ends:

post-9147-0-47176600-1515959208_thumb.jpg

Next the inners needed proper headstocks. The single FIA buffers were cut off and the end filed down. Headstocks left over from the FLA 5 set conversions were then carefully trimmed and stuck to the ends below deck level, but clearing the nem pockets. This made the gap between wagons too long for the draw bar coupling so the tension locks now redundant from the outer ends have been used instead, but with their bar that drops down for uncoupling bent up so they don't foul anything.

post-9147-0-09499700-1515959266_thumb.jpg

The final problem now is the deck appearance. I've learnt how to use autocad over the weekend so the artwork I'd done previously for deck dimensions could be drawn up properly. These have been sent off to see if they can be laser cut in plasticard to create overlays to fit on the decks and improve the appearance. The drawings are really for an FTA deck as it was easier to create, close enough for me!

They will by no stretch of the imagination be accurate scale models when finished, but the same could be said for the FLA 5 sets which aren't that closely related to the pairs I've created them from. Still, if it looks right then it'll do until someone produces a better model.

(Footnote: from working out the dimensions and parts to try and create these as a kit I can understand why they haven't been tackled rtr yet. Some major compromises would be needed with parts of the chassis to get the bogies around curves.)

• 2 months later...

Following a request for information which has motivated me to complete the cartics, I'm going to add some more info on how the cartic sets go together. This will save me needing to repeat myself if any further inquiries come along in the future.

'Ballast' consists of 2p coins under the inners and 1p coins under the outers:

post-9147-0-19543800-1522587342_thumb.jpg

New intermediate bogie on the left, Hornby original on the right. Much more support area on the new bogie to help keep the inners stable:

post-9147-0-19644700-1522587546_thumb.jpg

New bogies are from old Hornby container flats with the couplings removed. Block of 1mm plasticard added which sits on the stub left from the coupling and the block that stops it rotating too far on the container flat. Plasticard has 1.5mm holes drilled through at same spacing as the Hornby original bogie and 1.5mm (1/16th inch) brass rod inserted and cut to length:

post-9147-0-44122900-1522587591_thumb.jpg

Original outer on left, new inner on the right. Mounting tongues with 2mm holes through, close up a bit when paint is added. Ladders for the inners are plastruct part 90672 (usefully labled ho scale, 1:100) cut to the same number of rungs as the outers and mounted on blocks 2mm out from the wagon sides:

post-9147-0-61222300-1522587947_thumb.jpg

And finally, car decks. Hornby outer on the left, my inner on the right. Hornby's deck detail is quite basic (should be an open mesh really), but this shows the complete lack of detail on my effort! Maybe one day I'll cover them in cars.

post-9147-0-94637800-1522588087_thumb.jpg

There's still only 1 full set in this state, no progress on the rest since my last picture on here of them a few years ago. The inners still need their side ladders and coupling tongues. I've now also drawn up some side mesh frames which I'll cut and try out soon.

• Like 4

I tried using thin transparent plastic sheet; I  ran a piece of wet and dry over it in one direction, then a second pass at 90 degrees to the original. A quick brush-over with paint, removing most with a  cloth, gave something resembling a mesh. 

I have also tried a fine 'nylon' mesh that is supplied with 'instant' cous-cous (and also some coffee bags)- the only problem is keeping it taut.

Are you sure you wouldn't like to try the translucent plastic side-sheets instead..?

One thing that is really noticeable on the real thing are the two dark grey 'stripes' where the cars drive along.