Farish Class 43 HST Any good?

Spaceman Spiff

• RMweb Premium

It's a reasonable runner (providing the gears don't split - more a problem with older models than newer ones) but the detail is far weaker than that of the Dapol model. The Farish model has no lights. The Farish HST is also not DCC ready meaning lots of hassle to convert them.

Mine is a very good runner. The model itself isn't as detailed as the Dapol one but a TPM detailing kit will bring it close, in my opinion. That's what I've done with mine and I wouldn't swap it for a Dapol model (in part because of the time I've put into it). The Dapol one is better overall, though, especially if you don't do any work to the Farish one.

If you are happy with the detail level of the model, there is nothing to count against it, apart from not being DCC ready, as Kris points out.

The Farish HST is also not DCC ready meaning lots of hassle to convert them.

The latest version is DCC Friendly and is very simple to solder a decoder into

Equally, the PCB is much easier to work with than the earlier one as the tags are very far apart

Hi,

I have a few of the newer ones (Chinese Production) with the PCB and they run very well. There have been a number of versions of the HST over the years and it would be best to look for one produced after 2007 as it will have the new split chasis. Here's a link to a site which has all the info you'll need about the production runs http://www.ngauge.org.uk/bachfar_hsts.php?lclass=12

Cheers, Mark.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

...and not forgetting the detailing set from tpm, also listed by the NGS shop if you're a member  8)

Regards, Gerry.

My apologies to Mike W for repeating his tpm mention, I did look for one but even so completely missed it, better get back to watchng these nuclear power plant readou...

Archived