Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Expansion at Redhill & Gatwick?

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Is that fence really 6 feet (or 2 metres I think in modern requirements) back from the nearest rail edge - doesn't look as if it is?

As Crompton Nut says yes. apart from the odd bit of siding further round the curve which you can see from the train but I am sure it wont be there much longer.

That fence is very close to the trains I would say only about 1 m or so.

That fence / wall is as close to the track as it can be (i.e. no places of safety for staff) and its extension further round the corner forces the line curving round to Reigate to be added to the list of "Red Zone Bared" areas where work cannot be undertaken without line blockages. Not very helpful given:-

(i) the intensive service at Redhill effectively preventing daytime blockages, (ii) the exsisting signalling layout and the blocking options available, and most importantly (iii) the 'Platform Zero project' have already grabbed pretty much every single possestion opportunity that exists!

Why do I get the feeling the needs of maintenance have been ignored yet again?

Incidentally there is a rumour going round that a cash shortage in NR might actually force the commissioning of Platform zero to be postponed with just the flats / supermarket / platform structure completed - with the difficult bits affecting the actually railway to follow at a later unspecified date.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold

Redhill generally is a bit of a mess at the moment. There's a shortage of parking even on a Sunday with the down side station car par area reduced, the underground car park in the town reduced whilst the new Sainsbury is being built. Another car park opposite the old cinema / nightclub (work suspended to convert it into flats) is due to close for redevelopment. That's without the impending closure of the up side station car park for the big station redevelopment. Added to this, gypsies have moved into one of the few remaining car parks. Not doing much to encourage people into the town.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

More trouble for Redhill travellers today. A carelessly discarded tin can has shorted the conductor rail to one of the running rails on the slow lines at Gatwick causing quite a lot of damage to a couple of sets of points. My colleagues have got a busy day ahead of them as a result.

post-658-0-99858700-1469521727.jpeg

post-658-0-70910100-1469521747.jpeg

post-658-0-55914800-1469521764.jpeg

post-658-0-53957800-1469521783.jpeg

post-658-0-79302300-1469521803.jpeg

post-658-0-01040400-1469521824.jpeg

Edited by phil-b259

Many years ago I had a tin can lodged on a 508 shoegear which managed to shut the SW main line for over 2 hours in the evening peak. I won't reiterate the full story here as I've posted it before, but it was only after fitters from Wimbledon Park started cutting the shoe gear off they discovered the coke can lodged between the soegear and underframe. every time the train moved, the can shorted out! Please people, don't throw cans out of the window!

• RMweb Premium

And what remains of the culprit

So 3 sets of points significantly damaged, plus a sizeable chunk of conductor and running rail damaged by a metal drinks can costing only a couple of quid.

post-658-0-51523100-1469574189.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

I hear rumours about possible strike by Network rail engineers but don't know the details of why etc.

I am not awere of any industrial disputes brewing within NR yet, so I would be interested to know where the rumours are coming from.

That said, given the current aggresive stance of the RMT, TSSA and the DfT (who tell NR what to do these days) I wouldn't be surprised if the next round of pay discustions for either us in maintenance or operations (the signallers) didn't end up in a official dispute.

If I hear any more I will keep forum members updated.

• RMweb Premium

Amazing. You'd have thought that amount of amperage would have obliterated the can in seconds before it could really do any serious damage.

As with most things involving physics, esblishing an effect actually requires far more energy than that required to simply continue it.

In any case once the Arc started, you had molten metal being thrown off from the conductor rail / running rail (as seen in my pics) to keep the connection going even after the bulk of the can was destroyed.

• RMweb Gold

I am not awere of any industrial disputes brewing within NR yet, so I would be interested to know where the rumours are coming from.

That said, given the current aggresive stance of the RMT, TSSA and the DfT (who tell NR what to do these days) I wouldn't be surprised if the next round of pay discustions for either us in maintenance or operations (the signallers) didn't end up in a official dispute.

If I hear any more I will keep forum members updated.

If I recall it came up on the local rail users site but no other info than that. Not had chance to try and find out how they found out yet.

Will have a search when I get chance.

• RMweb Premium

It was my train pulling into platform 1 at Gatwick that set off the conflagration!!    Pulled in, stopped, stepped out onto platform and then noticed that two sets of points immediately  behind me were well alight!

Glad it didn't blow about ten seconds earlier.....

More trouble for Redhill travellers today. A carelessly discarded tin can has shorted the conductor rail to one of the running rails on the slow lines at Gatwick causing quite a lot of damage to a couple of sets of points. My colleagues have got a busy day ahead of them as a result.

I saw the video of this whilst at work yesterday, looked intense.

• RMweb Premium

The flames were reflecting off the last coach of my train, initially I thought it was that which was on fire!  Thankfully it was short formed (8 vice 12) otherwise the back end would probably have been on the points when it blew.

As with most things involving physics, esblishing an effect actually requires far more energy than that required to simply continue it.

In any case once the Arc started, you had molten metal being thrown off from the conductor rail / running rail (as seen in my pics) to keep the connection going even after the bulk of the can was destroyed.

DC arcs are particularly resilient compared to AC arcs, because of the waveform not passing through zero at any point.

• RMweb Premium

All goes to show what a nasty thing un-shielded conductor rails are - and the understandable desire not to install any more or let the Heritage sector start messing around with them.

Edited by phil-b259

I'm not sure AC is that much safer really. It's not usually at ground level so is less accessible, but can induce dangerous voltages onto seemingly unconnected metalwork. Takes something going wrong for that to happen, but if nothing goes wrong DC at ground level doesn't cause spontaneous fires.

Electricity is just potentially very dangerous in any form above about 50V.