building an old style Virgin Train

I quite like the idea of having a original liveried Virgin WCML train to complement my existing Pretendolino. The train would be of 8 coaches plus loco and DVT. The image shows what i have so far.

A Farish class 90

3 old style Farish MK3's

A very old style Farish Mk4 'DVT'

I will probably just buy 5 more cheap MK3's and relivery the whole lot with Electra vinyls

The DVT is a bigger problem. Could it be modified to be a reasonable facsimile of the Dapol Pretendolino DVT in the background.? I don't need a precision model, just one that looks OK from a couple of feet away or when moving.

post-815-0-71610200-1362136569.jpg

If you're prepared to ignore the difference in body profile (Mk.4 tilt against 'International' Mk.3 profile - slightly different to a standard Mk.3 anyway) then one obvious easy improvement is replace the SIG bogies with the BREL series 4 (Class 158) bogies which you can get from B. R. Lines http://www.brlines.co.uk/products.php?section=1 ref: GF1432. This will also mean you loose the superfluous fairing at the back. The front angle of the nose is about the same and the difference in side window shape can be done in the repainting (oddly the Mk.3 DVT side windows match the window shape of the Cl.91 used with Mk.4s while the Mk.4 DVT side window shape almost matches the Cl.90 used with Mk.3s!).

Thanks Bernard, those bogie frames look good. I must admit i had not noticed the DVT body profile until you mentioned it so i will go ahead. New wheels are the order of the day as well. The tricky bit will be the repainting as Electra obviously don't do a Virgin livery for the Mk 4 DVT. Or I could try making up my own vinyls.

BTW must get an order off to you before your shop closes.  Farish container flat mods and dummy point levers etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress has been made. I have stripped the paint off 8 MK 3's including the virgin liveried ones I had, this is to get a consistency of finish with the Vinyls. The vinyls are ordered from Electra Railway graphics.

Conversion work has started on the DVT. The paint has been stripped and class 158 bogies added. The roof is a combination of the front from the original DVT and one donated from a MK4 coach. There are only 11 roof ribs rather than 13 but OK for me. I have added 4 lifting thingies above the bogies but don't know if i will bother about the tiny vertical strengthening plates. Still do is add the air dam in front of the forward bogie. Add the farings each side of the nose. I am still not sure about adding the rear buffers or the front bufferbeam detail which is probably not available anyway.

Then there is the livery!!

The black roof is OK as I intend to use some spray paint - any recommendations?  I intend to produce a sort of vinyl to match as well as possible the Electra colours. Before i retired i was in the graphics/publications industry so have photoshop and IIlustrator plus various various 'free' programs. All I need to do is remember how to do stuff, it has been 7 years since retirement!

post-815-0-92330300-1363348339_thumb.jpg

Archived