TMD usage

Alycidon

• RMweb Premium

I'm just in the middle of constructing a modest sized TMD and would like to run it as near accurate as I can.

To this end I plan to set up a timetable set on the London end of the ECML in the late 70's/early 80's with the TMD acting as a smaller version of Finsbury Park.  Currently it has 4 maintenance and 4 refuelling bays with stabling space for about 25 loco's.

The only problem is my knowledge of the actual operation of a depot is full of holes.

For example, I've found various pieces of information as to frequency of A Exams and the like but nothing that tells me how long one would take.

I know the fuel capacity of most loco's of that era but nothing on how many miles per gallon anything could do, how long it would take to refuel them or even whether every loco was refuelled as a matter of course before each turn, which I would imagine would be the case.

I would be very grateful if anyone has any knowledge on anything related to depot usage, or point me to websites or books that may be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Archived