Br uniform

bertiedog

Guest stuartp

I think red piping indicated a Leading Railman, blue would indicate a Senior Railman, I might have that back to front though. Poor old ordinary Railmen just got black. The railman grades covered a multitude of sins but I would guess it was issued to station staff (porters), it looks a bit posh for shunters or messengers.

• RMweb Gold

Introduced sometime around 1985 ish?

cheers

My recollection is that this was broadly the uniform when I was in among 'em in the mid-70s. I think Senior Railmen had a white border.

Great to see the OP - Bertiedog - back on RMweb!

At risk of thread derailment, when I was travelling by BR in the mid-1980s, I remember occasionally seeing BR staff in purple (or possibly a pale maroon) uniforms.  Can anyone enlighten me  as to what this signified?  I seem to remember most such gentlemen appearing to be quite senior in years and so I've always assumed them to be quite senior in grade too.

My recollection is that this was broadly the uniform when I was in among 'em in the mid-70s. I think Senior Railmen had a white border.

Yes Ian, you are right, that uniform dates from the 1970s.

What I had remembered was an incident when I was working at WR HQ 1985-1988.

Swindon station was chosen as a trial location for a new design of uniform, the red and blue being more prominent.

When waiting for the train home I remember another BR employee joking about the platform staff,

as they came down the platform to dispatch our train he remarked "here comes the brass band", 

cheers

Archived