Prototypical parcels trains

Hi all. I'm trying to model vaguely accurately the peak line in the late 50's. one of the trains is a parcels service which (according to operation midland) has 7 BG's in it. I would like this to be as divers as possible so im tyring to come up with a configuration for this formation that will have some variety in type and colour. Now I guess I'm on safe ground with mk1 BG / GUV and stanier BG's and things like the CCT. And also gresley / thompson would make sense. But would I be able to have stuff like green BG / GUV's and his worth coaches? I hear that parcels coaches would have been used hither and thither, but is what I'm thinking a bridge too far? Possible? Your advice would be good!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Cbeagleowner

Have you considered joining the BR coaching stock yahoo group http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/BRCoachingStock/ There are a large number of Carriage Working Books and Passenger Terain Marshalling files available on this site. Some contain the formations of parcels trains. 

In the 1950s most the stock would be pre nationalisation, with a mix of origins.

Hi guys - thanks for the info. Appreciate that. Will aim to join the yahoo group when I have a moment. 

Chris - I thought (guessed) that the Green BG and GUV would have come about post 56 when the 'regional' liveries were introduced. Did they come about later? Or have I got my dates wrong?!

• RMweb Premium

The first use of green GUVs was on the Oakhampton car carrier train and it took a while for these to be dispersed further afield. Many of the green BG stayed on region for quite some time working on dedicated services before drifting further away. The green PMVs and SR CCTs however appeared everywhere.

Thanks Clive. That's really helpful. I'd planned on a green PMV and CCT as part of my parcels rake, so I think from your info that might be at least potentially prototypical! I've also got a hawksworth bg in it as they were going for 17 quid

Archived