Lima DMU Upgrade

I've had a three car Lima DMU sitting around for ages, with a plan to do 'something' with it.

After reading a number of posts on here, I ordered the craftsman detailing kit (great value at £7.50!) and set to work.

I decided to sacrifice the middle car to provide the correct sections of windows to create the DMS from the dummy DMBS. This proved to be a bit more complicated than first glance, as to get the windows in the right order I had to cut several sections of the centre car, which then needed glueing, filling and sanding into the DMS. (Having a small layout, a two-car DMU is ideal for me!)

Research indicated that the Pressed Steel DMUs were delivered without the marker lights on the front, and without corridor connections, so these were removed/filled/sanded flat.

Once the buffers and details were added to the chassis, everything was undercoated with Halford's Primer, then the underframes were sprayed Halford's matt black, the interiors (with cabs masked) a deep red, and the bodies Halford's vauxhall pine green.I then picked out the bulkheads and cabs in light blue, the cab roofs in white, and painted the main roofs Railmatch Roof Dirt.

Once everything was reassembled (with crew and passengers added) decals were applied for the original unlined green and the unit was weathered with various railmatch and games workshop acrylics.

The last hitch was that with the orignal couplings the gap between the vehicles was huge, and this was highlighted once the corridor connections were removed. To solve this I added a pair of Bachmann EZ Mate couplings between the cars, which look the part and close the gap nicely.

This was a really nice project to do, which I would recommend to anyone. Like most of my models, I'm sure there are details I've omitted, but I feel this nicely captures the feel of the prototype.

post-16405-0-81639000-1362265333.jpg

The DMBS arrives at Falstow Quay, showing the front end detailing and the lack of marker lights.

post-16405-0-52243500-1362265336.jpg

The new DMS with windows transplanted from the sacrificed centre-car. I am pretty happy with the 'cut-and-shut' of the sections.

post-16405-0-70087100-1362265339.jpg

The full unit waits for custom in Falstow Quay station (the white patch in the harbour is where I had to relocate a boat!)

post-16405-0-48551700-1362265594.jpg

The new close coupling between the carriages.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, you could do with SE Finecast flush glazing.

Nicely painted.

On mine I have 1 cut & shut from a 121 conversion left over body I bought VERY cheap. 3 so far and 1 to go with resin DMS sections I bought from DC Kits. The trailer and power cars are slightly different profiles!

As to cut & shut a 116 trailer is fun!

Your headcode boxes, are they part of the Craftsman kit as they do not look standard Lima?

I know one 118 set ran as power twin.

More than one 118 ran as a power twin!  PlymouthModeller, you do not say what your chosen period is but what you have made could easily represent a set quite newly delivered.  In the summer of 1960 there were four power twins working from Laira, mostly on the Plymouth - Saltash service.  These were 51311-51314 and 51326-51329.  Two more twins, 51315+51330 and 51316+51331, worked from Bristol on the Clevedon branch for a while but then went to Reading where they were reunited with their trailers.  From mid 1962 the 118s started to move around the Western Region.  It is a complex story which years of research have not yet completely cracked!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

More than one 118 ran as a power twin!  PlymouthModeller, you do not say what your chosen period is but what you have made could easily represent a set quite newly delivered.  In the summer of 1960 there were four power twins working from Laira, mostly on the Plymouth - Saltash service.  These were 51311-51314 and 51326-51329.  Two more twins, 51315+51330 and 51316+51331, worked from Bristol on the Clevedon branch for a while but then went to Reading where they were reunited with their trailers.  From mid 1962 the 118s started to move around the Western Region.  It is a complex story which years of research have not yet completely cracked!

Chris

P480 was the most well known.

I remember seeing its trailer at Laira. First DMU class I cleared

Archived