A Scottish engine arrives at Bristol

Gordon A

A new engine arrived at the Avon Valley Railway this week, and i was fortunate to be rostered on her yesterday.

The engine is Earl David, a Hunslet Austerity design built by Andrew Barclay of Kilmarnock in 1945, and worked in the Scottish coalfields.

As I have driven Jessie, an ealier Hunslet that is based at the Llangollen Railway, I was very keen to give an Austerity tank a try having read of their exploits mainly in colliery work.

First a couple of shots looking between the frames.

post-7071-0-53950000-1362306917_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-97016400-1362306980_thumb.jpg

Definitely a case of going over the top for oiling. I have a large rib cage so even this route is not straight forward.

Now a couple of general shots taken at Avon Riverside Halt on a Driver Experience B course.

post-7071-0-83525300-1362307010_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-98922100-1362307041_thumb.jpg

Our GWR 25 ton Toad.

post-7071-0-60833400-1362307054_thumb.jpg

A shot of the builders plate.

post-7071-0-46804300-1362307075_thumb.jpg

This may be of interest to Robert of RT Models.

And the British Transport Commision plate that allowed her to run into BR sidings.

post-7071-0-38138000-1362307092_thumb.jpg

I must say the engine is a most enjoyable drive and the three participants on the course also found her an enjoyable experience.

The Gloucester & Warwickshire Railway have a good history of this engine on their web site.

Gordon A

Bristol

(With a big grin on his face!)

Is this a long term visit, or just a brief stay?

I remember when I was a lad, and the AVR was the BSR, the were a couple of Austerities at Bitton for a while, I think they just passed through on the way from South Wales to ? (maybe the K&ESR).  I'm sure one was blue and called Linda, and as that is my Mum's name she kept asking about it for years afterwards!

• RMweb Premium

I assume that's the livery of the old Wemyss Private Railway which (IIRC) closed in the late '60s - is the loco a genuine WPR survivor?

I can't answer Colin's question but I think that is a very neat fitting for the air pumps. Having them alongside the smokebox or cab just doesn't look right to me. Of course with a full length saddle tank there is not a lot of room. Overall that is a tidy looking engine.

I understand Earl David will be staying for the season and probably Christmas. The loco is a survivor of the Wemyss Private Railway.

I think the two Austerities that were at Bitton went to Buckfastleigh.

Gordon A

Bristol

A new engine arrived at the Avon Valley Railway this week, and i was fortunate to be rostered on her yesterday [....]

Gordon A

With a big grin on his face!)

You've put a big grin on my face too, since last time I saw no 15 was forty years in Methil. Here is Andy Arnot's photo of her after withdrawal in 1971, in a thread about the railways around Kirkcaldy. Thanks for posting these!

Graham

Bit like Graham R I too remember No 15 working at the washer in Methil. My grandfather worked as an electrician at both Wellesley and Michael. Both grandparents lived in a NCB property opposite the hospital and many a happy hour was spent as a child watching the remaining locos working the yard. I was also fortunate to be allowed to see No 15 in bits during her rebuild by new owner Mr Goodman.

Earl David - imagine calling a steam engine after a pub!........well there is one in East Wemyss. The Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Society have a signal & knee frame from the WPR, we used to have it`s sister engine No16 at Lochty, but Lochty no more!

Archived