How do you turn off the mobile interface on an iPhone (iOS5)?

I'm sure I've posted this before but I can't find it (another iPhone issue...) but I can't stand the mobile interface and I really need to turn it off before I do something drastic. It annoys me intensely.

If anyone has a solution I would be most grateful. Specs in the title, also I have a 30meg cable broadband.

As an aside, does anyone use it?

• RMweb Gold

To change from the mobile theme, at the very bottom of the page you should see a Full Version button in the middle. It may be very faint. Click it.

Then when on the full version, to make sure it sticks for next time, at the very bottom-left of the page click Change Theme, and then click RMweb-2013 even if it is already ticked.

Martin.

Thanks Martin, but I've tried that several times. Soft reset, hard reset, off and on, nothing works to get that awful screen off my phone. If there's a full width banner ad (which is most of the time) even hitting the Full Version button is a game of chance, especially with the app button above it which takes you to the App Store if you happen to misjudge it by a fraction of a millimetre.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I don't have any Apple devices.

Try using this URL. But first you must add your own secure key on to the end of it. You can see your secure key by hovering over the Sign Out link and looking in the browser status bar. The secure key is the part on the end of the sign-out URL, following the last = sign. If you can't right click and copy a URL, you will have to note it down manually.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=ajax&section=skin&do=change&skinId=fullVersion&secure_key=

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Wow! That's some code! Tried it and it came back with:<br /><br />("status":"ok")<br /><br />Verbatim as above. Mean anything to you? Looks to me like I'm an OK guy...

That's correct.

Now when you go to RMweb again you should be in the normal theme.

regards,

Martin.

Afraid no luck, Martin, thanks though.

If I go straight to my bookmark I get the mobile site. If I paste in the url with code I get the status:ok page, then if I paste it in again it works fine.

I'm pretty sure nobody uses the mobile site (that's a pretty big assumption on my part but I've not heard of anyone using it) so I don't know why it's there? Does nobody else have this problem? Surely I cannot be the only one?

I would be surprised if this works.

I have been trying to get it to go the other way - to show the mobile theme on the iPhone5 and it doesn't work - given up.

I think I am right in saying Apple's ios doesn't do javascript in the normal way (in any of the browsers for the iPhone) so as IIRC that link in the bottom corner is js driven it may not work on an iPhone (along with many other links)

Trying to use the normal theme on a mobile is just about impossible - and you would have thought that the program should identify the browser an OS and default to the mobile theme. Ah, but I forgot this is IPB software.

... and you would have thought that the program should identify the browser an OS and default to the mobile theme.

Well, it seems to be doing a grand job on my phone - much to my annoyance! I, perhaps mistakenly, thought the governing factor on whether it choses to display the mobile or desktop site (given that the iPhone has a fairly high res display) would be the connection speed, rather than the platform? I may have to perform that dreaded software update to iOS6 that iTunes keeps nagging me about...

Well, it seems to be doing a grand job on my phone - much to my annoyance! I, perhaps mistakenly, thought the governing factor on whether it choses to display the mobile or desktop site (given that the iPhone has a fairly high res display) would be the connection speed, rather than the platform? I may have to perform that dreaded software update to iOS6 that iTunes keeps nagging me about...

Perhaps I should have added my reference was to ios 6.1.2 on iPhone5.

I have tried (basically following Martin's post above and it doesn't allow change to mobile theme, nor does it recognise the browser being on ios and correctly default to it. Browsing on the iPhone - especially on the home page is near impossible as there is simply too much clutter.

I had hoped to get into the blogs this way but hey ho :(

• RMweb Gold

I've tried to do this a number of times ( along with searching for a solution on various apple forums) and haven't found a solution to force the iPhone (4s) to not use the mobile versions of websites.

Very annoying to have to keep changing, particularly when it has a habit of reverting to mobile after a few minutes...

Full Version/Use Mobile Version buttons flip between the different skins correctly for me on iPhone 4, IOS 6.1.2.

The only problem is the overwidth banner ads in the mobile skin which spoil the layout in portrait, although reading in landscape renders the text correctly. presumably resized versions of the ads havent been created for the mobile skin yet.

Archived