Canadian Pacific (& Southern Pacific...) in New Jersey.

trisonic

Couple of interesting trains in this short film (HD). The first includes a Southern Pacific liveried SD40-2 (remember this was filmed last year in August). I think that the second train is more interesting containing a CP ES44AC. Once more the cameraman has lingered on the freight cars.

I was looking for something online because yesterday whilst driving along the Turnpike opposite Newark Airport I was counting the usual suspects of CSX/NS locos when I spotted two Canadian Pacific (what looked like ES44AC's) locos joined tail to tail - the first time I've ever seen CP stuff in Elizabeth (which is where Newark Airport actually is).

So will we be seeing more CP around New Jersey? The fact is CP now own and operate part of Oak Island Yard in Newark as an InterModal facility (they also have a joint operation in the Bronx with CSX). Whilst searching I found that after Hurricane Sandy last year CP donated $2millionUS to both New York and New Jersey as "aid". Sounds like a buttering up exercise to me.  

Whatever, it'll be very good to see more CP activity in New Jersey, if so.

If anyone else has more info please post.

Best, Pete.

Railpace Magazine frequently has photos of CP stuff working down your way - it doesn't appear uncommon.

That video identifies the locos just before the train appears.

The SP SD40-2 was leased power (HLCX number is Helm Leasing, I think - note that the SP logo was obscured). It looked like a block train of containers on 89' flats - trash?.

The second train had some RailBox cars that still had the old RB logo rather than the TTX logo (so I can still use the ones I have in current trains - yay!). There were also some different trash containers on flats.

Adrian

Sorry, Adrian my reply was brusque 'cos I was late for an appointment....

I should really subscribe to RailPace but I went off it when they moved their offices to North Carolina and their coverage of New Jersey began to be patchy at best and poor at worst. They were based at Piscataway, NJ and the guys that moved actually covered New Jersey themselves.  For a magazine like RailPace electronic distribution would be brilliant...

As I said in my first post I welcome more CP activity here - the more the merrier!

Best, Pete.

Guest 40-something

Im sure I seen a CP loco in a train heading towards Las Vegas from the Utah direction a few years ago.  The lead unit was a UP patched DRGW loco with Im positive a CP unit behind!  I was drivign so couldnt pay more attention.

Different part of the country,but interesting nonetheless.

This site says "In 1999, as a result of the Surface Transportation Board's (STB) consideration of the Conrail acquisition by CSX and Norfolk Southern, and at the urging of the City and State for competitive rail access east of the Hudson, the STB called for an East-of-Hudson operating agreement between CSX and CPR." The Delaware & Hudson had an earlier trackage rights agreement to Newark via the Lehigh Valley dating from Conrail in 1976.

Knowing New Jersey politics it probably took over ten years to work out........

As I said "the more the merrier"......

Obviously you do see out of state companies hauling trains through New Jersey - I've got pictures somewhere of an all UP hauled Intermodal on the Conrail assets line.

Thanks, Pete.

For whatever reason, there's far more run-through power from the UP and BNSF (and presumably CN and CP) on CSX, NS, and CSAO than NS and CSX on UP or BNSF. Trainwatching in the Los Angeles area in the 1980s brought out much, much more run-through power from Canada and the east than now -- a CSX unit in West Colton is enough to draw notice on the railfan boards!

Here's a photo from the BNSF Transcon just outside Holbrook, AZ that I took:

post-9016-0-44830300-1362845683_thumb.jpg

post-9016-0-20705200-1362845743_thumb.jpg

Not very good quality, I'm afraid, taken from inside a moving car doing 80mph on I40.

Best, Pete.

I saw quite a few NS locos and a couple of CSX but it was the only train I saw (in a couple of days) with a NS leading the pack...

It's heading to the West, of course, it can be worked out by the alignment of the track to I40. That double tracked line is so busy!

I actually saw a BNSF loco hauling a single director's/inspection car (near Window Rock on the AZ - NM border) but I couldn't catch it to take a photo, alas...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Driving along the NJ Turnpike on my way back to Newark airport last week (my current client is in Somerset NJ) I saw a couple of Geeps (can't be more specific, sorry - I was doing about 65mph at the time) lettered for the "Iowa, Chicago and Eastern" shunting a petro-chemical installation around about 1-2 off ramps south of Newark..

Now they were a long way from home..

• RMweb Gold

Hello, John!

Was that the Bayway Refinery just to the south of the Goethals Bridge to Staten Island?

No matter I'll keep an eye open for them.

Cheers, Pete.

Pete -

It was that area, yes - one NJ Turnpike off-ramp south of Newark airport!

Cheers,

John

Pete;

I looked through the issues of Railpace that I have from the last year (not very many)

June 2012* has 3 photos of the same train with CP locos in the lead, a buffer covered hopper, and oil tanks. Taken April 3rd 2012.All are fairly typical 3/4 front shots. The first is at Pennsauken, the second is somewhere south of Pavonia Yard (Camden) on its way to Eagle Point, and the third is passing under the Northeast Corridor in Philly.

Sept 2012 has a photo of the last CP train out of Oak Island NJ, passing through Bound Brook with gons for Binghampton. It also has a photo of CP locos at Bridgeport with a PRR-liveried Baldwin DS-4-4-1000.

November 2012 has three photos of various CP locos working in the Philly area, but nothing closer to NJ.

Feb 2013 has a photo taken in NY of another Bakken oil train on its way to Sewaren.

*this is the one I mentioned above.

Adrian

Archived