The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Kenny Ball dies

beast66606

I remember seeing Kenny and his band at the Theatre Royal in Merthyr. Freezing cold and the heating wasn't on/not working. He sang a song along the lines of 'Baby, I Feel Blue' and another 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' They were both sung with feeling!

• RMweb Premium

RIP Kenny

You did a lot to bring trad jazz to the masses - hope you enjoy the great gig in the Sky.

That's two famous musicians - will there be a third?

During the Trad Jazz boom at the start of the sixties, I enjoyed many a concert at the Sheffield City Hall. I was always in one of the cheap seats at the back of the platform, and appreciated the bands' customary gesture of turning away from the main audience and towards us for a couple of numbers. Kenny and his band were particularly friendly, exchanging jokes and amiable insults with us, and obviously enjoying themselves. Kenny came in for some criticism for playing some of what were regarded as pop tunes at the time, but, as far as I was concerned, he could both match any Dixieland jazz trumpeter in the country and turn any tune into jazz.

(Listening to Kenny's version of “Livery Stable Blues” as I type)

Gordon

Back around the early 1950s when he was starting out he delivered bread as a day job. London Coop if I remember correctly.

He spent many hours with my grandmother drinking tea and attempting to get a bit of rest during the day after a late night.

A good bloke as well as being a great trumpet player.

Bernard

'Midnight in Moscow' and 'March of the Siamese Children'..........................were're loosing quite a few in the last few months. Kenny Ball and his men always seemed to enjoy themselves when performing.

It's a pity Kenny can't play at his own funeral................I hope others will!

• RMweb Gold

Sad news. I'm not a jazz fan, but I did enjoy watching Kenny and his band playing in Jersey on a summer residency in the 80s - I'd have been 16 or 17. They played every night in a park in St Helier, for free, and put on a great show.

RIP, and enjoy the great gig in the sky..

[edited for typos]

Archived