RMweb

Buying an easy build

03CMS

I am look into buying a easy build DMU 122/121.

i was just looking for any who has build one to see if they are worth it and how hard they are to build.  

I think it depends on how fussed you are about the shape being accurate. I personally like the Easy Build Mark 1 coaches, but they've used the same plastic extrusions for the 121/122 DMU and it's therefore the wrong shape - there are two basic DMU body profiles, with the lightweight units matching the evenly-curving Mark 1 profile (which means that the tasty Easy Build 108 is correct) and the heavyweight units having a profile that's flat down to the waist and then more sharply curved to the solebar (ie much closer to a Mark 2 coach profile, which was actually developed from the early Swindon heavyweight Inter City DMU jigs). The real 121s and 122 s have the heavyweight profile, so the kit doesn't reproduce this.

If you want a 121 or 122 that's the right shape, I'd personally recommend the Westdale kit, although that one needs a lot of work to get the roof domes right. However, there are still some nice looking Easy Build 121s around.

David

DavidB hits the nail squarely on the head, neither kit is perfect in my opinion – in fact I felt that after comparison with prototype photos the Westdale bodyshell's windows weren't quite right either. Despite the slightly 'tubby' profile of the Easybuild offering what swung it for me was the level of support and advice available from Shawn and Richard (ideal for a beginner like me) and the fact that you get a complete kit in a single box.

It's also proving to be delightfully amenable to a little bit of customisation :-)

D

Archived