CAMP COACH at Llanfyllin

Can anyone identify the type of coach being used as a "Camp Coach" at llanfyllin in 1939 own in a photo published in GWR Journal No 61 on Page 250?

it would appear to be similar to be a Diagram S17. Five compartment 3rd, if I take the Coach Sides from Shire Scenes for a Ratio 4 wheeler as an example.

Unfortunately th only photo I have is that published in GWR Journal 61 and thus am unable to include it

Hi Terry,

It's definitely not an S17. They were Holden coaches for the Hammersmith & City line and had the round-top doors for clearance in the tunnels. The coach in the picture has very deep eaves (between top of windows and roof), probably 12" or thereabouts, and this marks it as an early type, possibly even an ex broad gauge convertible. These had narrow bodies but could be fitted on broad or narrow underframes. There's a picture of something similar, though with a clerestory roof, in fig 85 of Russell vol 1.

I'm also not convinced it is an all third. The panels between the compartments appear to vary in width, so it could be a composite, maybe U19 (Russell vol 1 fig 50).

Nick

Mike Fenton's "Camp Coach Holidays on the GWR" has 3 pictures of the Llanfyllin camp coach in 1939 which show it to have been no 9986.

According to the listings on the ultimate page this was a Dia U19 tricompo Lot 302 built to NG in September '84.  NG No 787, 1907 No 6787, converted to camp coach in June 1934 and condemned in January 1950.

Hope that helps (assuming the lists are correct of course!).

Ken...

Archived