Hornby R2934 vibration and noise

I may have posted this inncorrectly in another post, so with appologies to Andy, the other author, I thought it best to put a new Post topic.

I have a noisy "Class 8, super detail R2934" problem. Noisy all the time but a crunching noise when slowed down. The noise sounds like there is gravel stuck to the sides of the track, accompanied by appropriate vibration of the body - there isn't any gravel on the track, by the way. ... :no:

I stripped the body off and ran it to see if I could identify where the noise came from. After a while it appeared that, at slow speed, the motor was being rocked back and forth, around the armature in the mountings and causing the vibration.  It occurred in both directions.

I rotated the Flywheel by hand to see if the gears were catching and causing it to catch and jump, but all very smooth all round full turns, in both directions.

It had some quite thick oil on the bearings and gears, so I put some of the modern Peco oil on. That has made it quieter and pretty much eliminated the crunching vibration but it still isn't right although time may improve that.  ....  :)

My question is about the rotation of the motor in the mounts. I can see that the Front Mounting Hole is shaped to fit the Motor Lug but is quite a loose fit. Is this meant to be like that and what is it possible to do to tighten it if it is wrong?  Would a new front Mounting Plate help?

Julian

• RMweb Premium

I may have posted this inncorrectly in another post, so with appologies to Andy, the other author, I thought it best to put a new Post topic.

I have a noisy "Class 8, super detail R2934" problem. Noisy all the time but a crunching noise when slowed down. The noise sounds like there is gravel stuck to the sides of the track, accompanied by appropriate vibration of the body - there isn't any gravel on the track, by the way. ... :no:

I stripped the body off and ran it to see if I could identify where the noise came from. After a while it appeared that, at slow speed, the motor was being rocked back and forth, around the armature in the mountings and causing the vibration.  It occurred in both directions.

I rotated the Flywheel by hand to see if the gears were catching and causing it to catch and jump, but all very smooth all round full turns, in both directions.

It had some quite thick oil on the bearings and gears, so I put some of the modern Peco oil on. That has made it quieter and pretty much eliminated the crunching vibration but it still isn't right although time may improve that.  ....  :)

My question is about the rotation of the motor in the mounts. I can see that the Front Mounting Hole is shaped to fit the Motor Lug but is quite a loose fit. Is this meant to be like that and what is it possible to do to tighten it if it is wrong?  Would a new front Mounting Plate help?

Julian

Sorry really can't help here. But if it's a new model take it back to the shop you got it and try for a replacement . You shouldn't be experiencing these problems

I don't know which model this is, but this kind of noise output is not unusual from current Hornby product fresh out of the box (based on experience of the Brit, B1, L1, O1).

You have already demonstrated to yourself that getting the factory lubricant better dispersed around the gear train quiets the mechanism. Other sources of noise and vibration include the pick up wipers. These can take several hours of running to polish up the contact areas and become near silent when correctly positioned: if one is out of position and running on a less than smooth part of the wheelback this can make quite a racket. Same applies to any other fixed structure which may be fouling slightly on moving parts. Personally I would not worry about the slight motor movement on its' axis. Only if the motor mount allows enough movement that the worm disengages is there a problem, and you have not reported the external evidence of this occurring.

The motor torque is quite adequate to overcome the slight increment in resistance caused by these impediments to quiet and vibration free running. Thus you have the sight of a new loco operating smoothly but making an unexpected amount of noise while doing so. This typically quiets with running time. If it persists then you need to look for the fouling mentioned already.

I don't know which model this is, but this kind of noise output is not unusual from current Hornby product fresh out of the box (based on experience of the Brit, B1, L1, O1).

You have already demonstrated to yourself that getting the factory lubricant better dispersed around the gear train quiets the mechanism. Other sources of noise and vibration include the pick up wipers. These can take several hours of running to polish up the contact areas and become near silent when correctly positioned: if one is out of position and running on a less than smooth part of the wheelback this can make quite a racket. Same applies to any other fixed structure which may be fouling slightly on moving parts. Personally I would not worry about the slight motor movement on its' axis. Only if the motor mount allows enough movement that the worm disengages is there a problem, and you have not reported the external evidence of this occurring.

The motor torque is quite adequate to overcome the slight increment in resistance caused by these impediments to quiet and vibration free running. Thus you have the sight of a new loco operating smoothly but making an unexpected amount of noise while doing so. This typically quiets with running time. If it persists then you need to look for the fouling mentioned already.

Thank you for your replies.

On the subject of the Pick-up Wipers, I wanted to check them and, if I am totally honest, simply couldn't see them.  They must be at the top of the wheels, which are well up out of sight, because of the modelling of the Axle Boxes and Springs which are outboard of the wheels.  The only thing I can see from the top of the Chassis is, what looks like, a thin wire, which may be in contact with the top of the wheel?  :dontknow:

Would this be one of the Pick-ups?

I haven't got the foggiest idea how to move the Axle Boxes etc either  .......    :dontknow:

The Hornby Leaflet just 'ain't helpful in that regard  .......  :rtfm:

Julian

With you now, this is the class 08. Apart from curing the SCREAM! resulting from the tight worm shaft bearings, mine was pretty trouble free. I did have it apart on principle, (the principle concerned being that of N. Molesworth the gorriler of 2B, ect.) and it is fiddly rather than difficult. The brake assemblies are simply plugged into the chassis underside and with patience pull out. Undo the keeper plate retaining screws, remove plate and the wheelset drops out. That gives access to the pick up wipers if recollection is correct. There is a service diagram (pdf download) on Hornby's site giving a rough schematic of the parts. You have to just page through the file to find it, Hornby don't seem to have thought of any rational filing system...

Thank you both for your useful information.

The Loco is definitely quieter and runs smoothly. 

I also noticed that some of the noise returns when the body is back on  ...  :nono: ...  it seems that the 4 x posts that protect the DCC plug are contacting the roof and transmitting sound to the body.  A small dab of Blue -Tac, on each Post top, has quietened that down for a while until I can get a moment to remove the DCC Cradle and rub down the Post tops a bit  .....  :no:

J

• 4 months later...

The Motor developed a vibration from the Flywheel, which was slightly out of true.

In the end I sent it back to Hornby repair, with a request to replace the motor and both Bulkheads. I was informed the waiting time was 4 weeks. Two and a half weeks later and the Loco was back here, with the new Motor and Bulkheads. It is now smooth as silk and thanks go to Hornby repairs for a good job. The bill was nil, apart from the postage to them.

J

Archived