Keep getting logged out

Guest Tom F

Guest Tom F

Since this morning I keep getting logged out, practically at every refresh or page change, once logged in I get this message.

These files are stored on your computer and help remember your login name, display name and the site content that you have already read or contributed to. Without cookies we would not be able to tailor your content. These are not use to track individual usage or tailor advertising content.

You may see some site content provided by third parties, such as youtube, which may then place their cookies on your computer; please do not play these or follow the links if you do not agree to their cookie policies

To confirm your understanding and acceptance of this please click on OK to continue using the site. You should only see this notice again if you have cleared cookies from your browser. To find out more about managing cookies within your chosen browser please visit the ico page for further advice - http://bit.ly/JJsSRL

I click ok and then refresh and once again I'm logged out. I've no altered my cookie settings.

Guest Tom F

Try refreshing the logon screen with a Ctrl+F5 before entering your details.

If that fails.

Clear cookies and temporary files.

That seems to have worked (Clear cookies)

Many Thanks.

RMweb (or rather the IPB software) is rather profligate in its use of cookies. I currently have 15 of them! They seem to change with almost every upgrade and it is a very careless way of dealing with information - the majority of which should be stored in a profile table on the database.

As this appears to be a cookie problem particular to your PC (at the moment) is there further details that can be provided - for example browser type and version? Is it happening after visiting a particular part of the forum? Have you any cookie washing type of program on your PC (I used to use a program that limited number of cookies per site and blocked all third party cookies (generally collecting information that they have no need for eg twitter/facebook, doubleclick etc)

As you can actually log in that cookie is being set but it sounds like it is being given a short lifetime or being session limited.

Guest Tom F

Hello Kenton

I have a MacBook Pro and I'm currently using safari. I did a second clear out of cookies...and touch wood for the last hour or so I've not been logged out. It seemed to start with the Bachmann announcement but that could purely be coincidence.

Hello Kenton

I have a MacBook Pro and I'm currently using safari. I did a second clear out of cookies...and touch wood for the last hour or so I've not been logged out. It seemed to start with the Bachmann announcement but that could purely be coincidence.

Touche'

I use a MacBook Pro and had similar problems earlier. Although at the moment RMweb seems to be behaving itself for me.

Curious as though I don't have this problem with the other forums I belong to  :scratchhead:

Guest Tom F

Touche'

I use a MacBook Pro and had similar problems earlier. Although at the moment RMweb seems to be behaving itself for me.

Curious as though I don't have this problem with the other forums I belong to  :scratchhead:

Ditto, I've never had this problem before on other forums.

Probably because most sites use only a very small number of cookies (1-3) There is simply no excuse for it, especially with a database driven site. Cookies are notoriously flaky* and of course, just about useless on a shared PC or where multiple browsers are used.

[Ed] or should that be crumbly?

Guest Tom F

It seemed to have settled down, but is once again throwing me off at every refresh, even though I've cleared cookies twice. Seems to be an issue with those using Macs.

It seemed to have settled down, but is once again throwing me off at every refresh, even though I've cleared cookies twice. Seems to be an issue with those using Macs.

It's been okay with me at the moment. Not sure how long that will last for.

There again perhaps the both of us have upset someone and given us dodgy cookies  :sarcastic:

Guest Tom F

It's been okay with me at the moment. Not sure how long that will last for.

There again perhaps the both of us have upset someone and given us dodgy cookies  :sarcastic:

I'm having to reply on my phone as its impossible on my lap top. It can't be coincidence we both have Macs and this is happening.

EDIT

I've reset Safari and for the moment it is stable.

Guest Tom F

Ok I'm seeing a pattern, as soon as I log into other sites (yahoo, Facebook etc) and my passwords are saved or these other sites, that is when Rmweb logs me out.

iPhone behaving fine though.

Guest Tom F

I'll blame Bachmann then. ;)

I'll try and find if any other users of the software have reported any issues.

It seems to be working fine since I got home, so whatever you did Andy. Thanks! :)

Webmaster,

I have just cleared the cookies from my iPad and successfully logged in from scratch (see my posting Cookies). Not yet sure that the log-in details will be remembered. Coincidentally (?) I had just logged on to the Bachmann announcement when this problem started.

John

PS Yes, log-in information was remembered.

Archived