DW series vehicles

I am trying to find , if possible, a list of the DW series of vehicles just post WW2, hopefully showing the donor vehicle and its conversion details!?  Has anyone ever seen or have knowledge of such a list?

A big ask, but if you dont ask.......

Regards

Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

What you want is "Departmental Coaching Stock - The Regional Series 2. Western Region" by Peter Hall.  I have the 1983 edition which gives details of about 50-60 in the original DW series (plural).  Plus nearly 500 in the later DW150xxx series.  i don't know if there was an earlier edition.  A couple of years later Platform 5 produced a volume that covered at regions.

The GWR had several DW series, all starting with DW1.  They were:

Water Tanks

Breakdown Vans

General Service Vehicles

Cranes

Plus sometime after 1948 BR moved PW and S&T wagons into the DW series so creating more confusion.  So you see mainly wagons with numbers such as DW80303, KDW80964, DW43567 etc.  Then in 1954 BR started the DW150xxx series.

You couldn't go wrong with contacting John Lewis via the HMRS or GWSG as he has probably looked at registers and may more information.

Richard

Richard,

Many thanks for your reply it is very helpful. I have contacted John Lewis who informs me that the only way to get a list of the vehicles would be to go through the registers at the NRM and that there are a lot of them!

Regards

Dave H

Archived