Marshfield Junction

MattWallace

Matt,

I thouhgt I recalled a mention of a slip somewhere in the thread and didnt want to suggest something which did not require any pieces of track you allready have.

Have you considiered the following which I think gives you the moves you are looking for.

post-19340-0-61507500-1379622354.jpg

Thanks Gary.

That got me thinking last night and although I can't get exactly what you've proposed, I have managed to get a bay siding into the station that accepts from the "UP" and allows onto the "DOWN" via a single slip that I had lying around:

9832744334_b645774d83_c.jpg

This allows:

Freight running either from the FY direct into the goods area or around the "UP" loop and then in before coming back out and either direct into the FY or a loop on the "DOWN" and in to the FY.

Passenger running around the "UP" and into the bay platform before running either all the way around the "DOWN" and into the FY or just back along the "DOWN" into the FY.

I think I'm happy with this... :)

any thoughts?

Matt

*edit* Update layout image to show more detail

Matt,

What I was sugetsing were two cross overs either side of the main pointwork and removing the cross over from the middle, this also spead out the moves across the point work to give a smoother transition for trains making this move.

post-19340-0-82391900-1379665503_thumb.jpg

Matt,

What I was sugetsing were two cross overs either side of the main pointwork and removing the cross over from the middle, this also spead out the moves across the point work to give a smoother transition for trains making this move.

Like this you mean?

9834476055_1154012b89_c.jpg

That's what I had in mind I think it gives you the moves you were looking for.

Layout is looking good and should provide lots of optional play value

Yes, thanks for your help on this.

Play value will start to become more important as my kids start to grow up - they already want to come and "play trains" in the loft with me even though there's no track been laid!

Matt

<snip>

Play value will start to become more important as my kids start to grow up - they already want to come and "play trains" in the loft with me even though there's no track been laid!

Matt

I know what you mean Matt. My lad keeps asking to play "Daddy's trains" and I've yet to order the track!

Really liking the plans as they develop.

Happy modelling!

DISASTER!

Last night, I realised that I need to buy more flxi-track and I can't afford that for a few weeks yet... :(

This means that the goods area of the scenic part alone uses more flexi-track than the whole of Blockwall Junction - I know I keep saying it, but I didn't realise what a large layout this is going to be!

If I get more time in the loft this week, I'll probably continue with corking the baseboards and start on the wiring and then I'll have to call a halt until I can justify spending more money on the layout.

I've got a birthday coming up so hopefully that will provide some funds!

Cheers,

Matt

I know what you mean Matt. My lad keeps asking to play "Daddy's trains" and I've yet to order the track!

Heh, wait until you've got drills and jigsaws lying around ("but Daddy, jigsaws aren't sharp, I've got loads of them in my toybox...") and he wants to help you build the baseboards!

45 minutes with a dremel and some track that I hadn't unpacked yet and it looks like the p-way boys have had a heavy night of it (and not in the good sense!)

First the two long sidings are laid:

9920972454_45b7687d9a_c.jpg

Then the first of the goods loop/receiving sidings:

9921203796_fda8c455b7_c.jpg

and finally, some playing around with height:

9921273676_f7ffba8b92_c.jpg

9921465993_1264045561_c.jpg

The power and dummy from the HST are actually on separate tracks although you wouldn't know it!

The tracks at the back are less than an inch from the baseboard, however I think that's about the right height so it's going to need to be a steeper climb up to the flyover from the station than I first thought (although the bridge will probably be cut down slightly).

I'm really pleased with how this is looking already!

I've got a few more bits of flexi that I can cut to size, however this is probably on hold now until I get the missing set of points and more flexi-track.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi all,

So it's been a pretty eventful few days...

On Thursday, my wife gave birth to our third daughter.  She's absolutely amazing (although obviously I'm biased!) and as a result I may well not be able to work on the layout for a few days/weeks, so expect progress to be slow.

Today is my birthday so I went to the model shop and spent my money on track cutters, a left-hand medium point, fishplates, insulated rail joiners and an entire box of code 100 flexi-track.

This now gives me everything I need to complete the goods area of the layout and make a start on the rear of the scenic section with the twin running lines and the station! :)

Cheers,

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Nil desperandum - I'm still around and buying more circuit boards from MERG!

I've been told that I might have the house to myself for a few days next week so in preparation I've been ordering a CANACE8 feedback module, point direction detectors and DCC Block detectors from the MERG kitlocker.

In total, I purchased the CANACE8, 3 turnout position sensors and five block detectors for £23 which should provide me with block detection and point feedback for the far end of the goods yard.

One thing I'm considering at the moment is splitting each road on the goods yard into two blocks giving me approx 10 x 5ft blocks as opposed to 5 x 10ft blocks.  Does anyone know what the "rules" used in prototype for designating blocks in modern goods yards might be?

Cheers,

Matt

How did you get the printed track work onto paper as this is something i have been looking at doing so i can work out my track plan.

Terry

I'm using XTrkCad to plan my layout, so I installed that on a windows laptop (it doesn't seem to print very well under Linux for some reason) and then "borrowed" an A3 printer to print at a scale of 1:1

You should be able to do the same with AnyRail and other track-planning software.

I then used spray-mount to fix it to the baseboards,

Looking good.

Congrats on the new arrival.

Thanks.

The good news is that my three nights alone have been confirmed so I'm hoping to make a reasonable amount of progress on the layout this week.

Outstanding tasks at the moment (in a vague order that is subject to change without notice!) are:

• Cut the cork for the track bed
  • Cut holes in baseboards for remaining point motors
  • Drill holes for power droppers
  • Solder power droppers to track
  • Connect Track to DCC Bus
  • Solder up various block/point detection circuits
  • Connect circuits to CBUS and program for JMRI

I know that's a lot to get done, but I'm hoping that if I don't eat, I'll get around 5 hours a night on this... :)

Once this part of the track is down and secured, I'll probably move on to constructing the next set of baseboards along the left-hand wall and around into the fiddle yard so I can get a real measure of whether the dual-track run around is possible (looking at the water tank last night, I may only get a single track past the tank itself... :( )

For those of you that care (!) the name change means that the locations signs on the layout will need to read:

Marshfield Junction

Cyffordd Marshfield

(it's South Wales, so English seems to come first on the signs)

I'm sure that someone around here makes custom station signs etc. for the various TOCs - can anyone remember who it is? I don't need them now, but I will do in future!

Matt

Generally the Welsh is above the English and written in green.

So you'd have something like this for the late 70, early to mid 80s

MarshfieldJunction_zps632e8aef.jpg

Inter City style in the 90s

MarshfieldJunctionInterCity_zpsaaf0d5c1.

Or even Regional Railways

MarshfieldJunctionRegionalRailways_zps6e

And don't forget we Welsh spell Platform as Platfform as well.

Archived