Loco provision from SF in 1990s

rob D2

Hi folks,

Whilst trawling the internet for photos of 37s in the mid to late 90s, I cam across alot of photos of 37s stabled at Stratford.

Quite alot in dutch, Mainline blue, then EWS and loadhaul.

Now I guess that in this period (say 94 onwards, i.e Mainline freight period), most of the Ford traffic was RFD 47s, what was the freight work still requiring lots of 37s in the area ?

I know Temple Mills was an infrastructure yard which might have needed some, were the oil refineries still putting out much traffic in this period ?

I find it even odder EWS having that new Temple Mills depot as by then the refineries had gone...

Any gen ? Thanks

Looking at freight workings through Stratford (Freightmaster 1997-98), trains booked for EWS class 37s included nuclear flasks to Leiston and Southminster, "Enterprise" (wagon load feeder services, Willesden-Purfleet and Willesden-Gidea Park), steel (double-headed, from Cardiff) and empty tanks (double-headed, Brownhills-Thameshaven).  Of course engineering/permanent way trains would be additional.  Freightliners were previously worked by 37s (double-heading), but by this time was shared between 47s and electrics (86 and 90).

Ah,

But the willesden trips would use their locos as would steel from Wales....... Maybe they just had lots of locos sitting around !

Workings from Cardiff, I might expect to be worked through, but there were no 37s allocated to WN at this time.

By 1998, Stratford had lost its "official" allocation of 37s, however my understanding was that it remained an EWS London area stabling point for these locos.

Archived