Neath - Brecon line - 13 October 1962

mikeyk

Hi all

Sorry for my absence for a long long time, multitude of reasons really. 

Sadly my father died just over a month ago, but he was an almost life-long railwayman, starting off as a booking office clerk at Swansea High Street through to becoming Divisional Passenger Manager for Eastern Region at Doncaster.

Although not really a railway modeller he did have a collection of Hornby Dublo, Hornby ACHO and Triang Transcontinental material, some bought at Bud Morgan in Cardiff, Hattons, and various places in Yorkshire, often at bargain prices!

For a few years whilst we were living in North Nottinghamshire my father was exhibition manager for Bassetlaw (North Notts) Railway Society.

Being a proper railwayman he also took some photos of the real thing. They were mainly captured on slide, and although not always of the highest technical quality, I hope that they will be of interest to some people here.

First collection I have uploaded to my Picasa web album space concentrates on the Neath - Brecon line.

You'll find the slide scans here: https://plus.google.com/photos/114894727231550685470/albums/5854011566396178497

Please let me know of any technical problems.

Very nice Mike.

The last few are of Efail Isaf and other stations on the Barry Railway Pontypridd - Cadoxton line - including an excellent view toward St. Fagans from the 'seven arches' viaduct.

A view i've never seen before.

Excelent

Brian

Lovely photos Mike.

I reckon your Dad must have done a round trip as there a few photos the other side of Brecon -- I recognise Torpantau and Pontsticill Jct and I think he's got Talyllyn in there as well. Torpantau views show a pannier with a typical B&M water column. Ponsticill is the one with station awning and reservoir in background, and I think the Ivatt 260 is at Talyllyn. Might be wrong on latter, but certain of the others.

Cheers, Dai

Hello Dai

Thanks for kind comments, and information. Dad only labelled the slides as 'last day of the line', so I think you are probably correct in thinking he did a round trip. It would be the sort of thing he would do.

I'll be scanning some more in the next few days, although they are from different trips and areas.

Thanks Mike, and I look forward to seeing your Dad's other photos.

Dai

Hello Dai

Thanks for kind comments, and information. Dad only labelled the slides as 'last day of the line', so I think you are probably correct in thinking he did a round trip. It would be the sort of thing he would do.

I'll be scanning some more in the next few days, although they are from different trips and areas.

Most of us can take photographs, but very few of us have the gift of being able to capture atmosphere the way your father could.

Who can look at the picture of the 2MT in the low sun at Talyllyn Junction without their minds ear being able to hear the hiss of steam?

My favourite, however, is the picture of the little boy (you?) on the platform at Barry in the "Every picture tells a story" thread.

Wonderful!

• RMweb Gold

Mikey,

I'm pretty sure that photo 9 (pannier with the signal box on the opposite platform which is staggered) is taken northbound at Fochriw.

Not a well photographed station at the best of times, and certainly it's the first picture I've ever seen of the place in colour.

All very evocative and full of atmosphere

Regards

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dai, Mike and Richard for the kind comments and information. I am sure my dad would have been very pleased to read what you have written.

And Mike, you are correct, it is indeed me on the platform at Barry. It is a lovely photo, probably my favourite out of all the railway related ones he took. He did take some other photos which are very evocative, but they were in non railway settings.

I will endeavour to put some more photos up in due course.

:)

Archived