Lincoln Holmes Yard

lincoln40a

At last I can say I have made some positive progress,

Having returned by post the 3mm  strips, Marcway have supplied me with the 4mm sleeper strips. this has allowed me to make a start on the double junction adjacent to 'East Holmes' signal box, pointwork is 48in radius with the single slip  being rather less (due to the curved crossing ).much of the straight track work was laid last week including the trailing crossover next to the shed road. this now differs from my original drawing, originaly the shed road came off the curve nearest to the shed .I have included a couple of right hand points on this for future use if I extend the layout depthwise to include the GC Warehouse and increase the shed from 2 to 4 roads.will post a couple of pics.

Graham

Guest bri.s

Really looking forward to see this progress love the plan nothing better than a yard layout

Will be watching with interest

Brian

I really enjoy looking at track being built like this. It is most encouraging and I think the 'in situ' method is one I must attempt on future projects.

Looking forward to progress.

P

Hi P

This is the first time I have built track 'in situ' myself, I have made complete trailing crossovers before but off a plan.hopefully there will be fewer kinks !

Graham

Really looking forward to see this progress love the plan nothing better than a yard layout

Will be watching with interest

Brian

Yes Brian

I prefer a yard to a passenger station, action is obviously slow ,but can be livened up with a Mainline diversion

Graham

Looking good Graham keep it up

you want to link it to mine when its finished that would be a site at a exhibition  

are you getting along to the Lincoln show in a few weeks time

john

Thanks John

I should be free to go to the Lincoln show, I will come and say hello. as for linking the 2 ,I doubt my rendition would be good enough . at the moment I only have  2 boards to work on but I will soon have to build no3 for the West Holmes junction.we may be going to Cleethorpes show on Saturday.

Graham

More positive progress this weekend, after a visit to Cleethorpes show.

connected the 'East Holmes' junction to the crossover next to the 'shed road'. Finished the single slip at the junction and started laying the the Y point from the shed to the wheel drop house.

Some may say the track layout is rather boring due to its straightness but that is how it was , the arial photo is testiment to this.it will get more interesting when the depth of the layout is increased to include the warehouse and turntable etc.

Hi Graham

looking good like you say the track work was straight so to those who know it looks right

What buildings are you going to put on it ?

Also is there a viewing side
I was at the show at the week end operating the Lincoln "O" gauge layout in the back room

JOHN

Hi John

I did see you there, but you had gone by the time I knew it was you !

I know Pete M' from my years at Gas Turbines .

Viewing side will eventually be from the Rope Walk so the back scene will show Brayford with The Cathedral in the back ground .

I hope to include all the well known buildings in time.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress this week , wheeldrop road in position and the connecting 'Y' point built insitu and the the righthand point off the goods loop in position.The next job will have to be building the 3rd baseboard so I can work out where the pointwork for the sidings within the loops will need to be. 

Current build position, boards butted together for photo, Note the 'Y' point to the wheel drop house has two radii one 4ft to blend with the main running lines and the other to suit the shed road aprox 3ft, also I still have to remove centre of sleepers over the inspection pits !

post-18643-0-19178600-1369165279_thumb.jpg

Some progress today , once the family had had their fill !

the pre-made lefthand point and singleslip for 2 of the storage sidings are now glued in position , also started insitu on the 'Y' point to connect the siding behind the signal box.used the phone cam , you can now start to identify the layout with the 1980's photo taken from the level crossing,signal and box in photo's just for comparison.

Looking good there Graham be good to see it when its finished, im doing one of Lincoln St Marks but as i think it would of been if central had closed so i'll keep an eye on your lay out aswell.

Bye for now

Adam

I seem to remember that there are a few photos in Eastern Region Steam Twilight, Volume 2 of the Holmes area, but I can't get to the book to check just at the moment.

Regarding the bridge adjacent to the shed, I can offer the following from an early 20th century photo album I acquired a number of years ago:

attachicon.gifPage 11, plate 5.jpg

GNR Class J16 (LNER Class J55) 0-6-0ST, no. 638; Witham swing bridge, East Holmes/Brayford Wharf East, Lincoln; Monday 25th October 1920

attachicon.gifPage 17, plate 1.jpg

Unidentified LD&ECR Class C (LNER Class G3) 0-4-4T; Witham swing bridge, East Holmes/Brayford Wharf East, Lincoln; Friday 10th August 1923

I think you'll find quite a few photos of this particular bridge, as it made a nice shot with the cathedral in the background that I've seen repeated a few times. The shed & yard has also featured in a number of books, but (somewhat unhelpfully, I know), I can't name titles off the top of my head, I'm afraid.

Personally, I have a (very...) long-term project in 'progress' to model one of the other Lincoln engine sheds - the GER depot at Pyewipe Junction (hence the user name). If you think you have problems getting photos of East Holmes... :dontknow:

I have a series of photographs and a plan of this shed from GER Engine Sheds, if you are interested.

I have just discovered this topic, and am very interested.  To answer a couple of points, the lifting bridge over the Brayford was replaced c1960-the original was a Bascule type-similar to  the Fison's Bridge further down.

40A shed was drastically rebuilt c1956-a new roof and possibly a new south wall, as the old shed was in a state of disrepair.  The Brayford opening span was replaced with a fixed span sometime in the 1980s, I believe.  

Good Luck with the project-It would be good to see it incorporated in the Lincoln Central layout.  If anyone is interested in exchanging information regarding the local railways, I would like to hear from them.

I have a series of photographs and a plan of this shed from GER Engine Sheds, if you are interested.

Cheers, but I have those already, thanks. Also the photos that the Great Eastern Railway Society hold, and a few that show the various signals in reasonable detail, together with a couple of OS maps showing the general layout.

What I could really do with, though, are photos of the signal box before it was reinforced during the Second World War - the only ones I have so far are from the late '40s-mid '50s - and pictures showing the main shed after the roof was apparently removed in the 1920s. Also, pics of the sidings on the LD&ECR line would be nice, and after that, world peace and an end to hunger - surely not too much to ask ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers, but I have those already, thanks. Also the photos that the Great Eastern Railway Society hold, and a few that show the various signals in reasonable detail, together with a couple of OS maps showing the general layout.

What I could really do with, though, are photos of the signal box before it was reinforced during the Second World War - the only ones I have so far are from the late '40s-mid '50s - and pictures showing the main shed after the roof was apparently removed in the 1920s. Also, pics of the sidings on the LD&ECR line would be nice, and after that, world peace and an end to hunger - surely not too much to ask ;)

For some reason I cannot post images-I have two of West Holmes during demolition that show the original clapboard cladding under the brick walling, if these are useful to you, I can email them.

For some reason I cannot post images-I have two of West Holmes during demolition that show the original clapboard cladding under the brick walling, if these are useful to you, I can email them.

That would be very kind - I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address :)

Archived