Glenfinick, West Highland in N

Andrew P

This is the way I have done water, and most of my methods are from Troels Kirk, of the coast line fame.

Start of with something that you would expect to find in the bottom, ie, sand or rocks. A thick layer of PVA on the top of that, now if you are modelling dirty water, a bit of muck colour in with it.

Then use artist acrylic media, a sort of thick varnish that can be worked into textures and form peeks in waves etc. At this stage, start to colour this by mixing in coloured paint, but small amounts. After a few layers of the media, and you have got the colour and transparency right, a few good layers of artist acrylic gloss varnish over the top.

Gary

http://coastline.no13.se/#home

This is the way I have done water, and most of my methods are from Troels Kirk, of the coast line fame.

Start of with something that you would expect to find in the bottom, ie, sand or rocks. A thick layer of PVA on the top of that, now if you are modelling dirty water, a bit of muck colour in with it.

Then use artist acrylic media, a sort of thick varnish that can be worked into textures and form peeks in waves etc. At this stage, start to colour this by mixing in coloured paint, but small amounts. After a few layers of the media, and you have got the colour and transparency right, a few good layers of artist acrylic gloss varnish over the top.

Gary

http://coastline.no13.se/#home

Thanks Gary that is really god, but I am not to sure about the music :no: , I can see where he is coming from.

I have used the PVA method before on Loch Leven's water outlet St Budoc's water filled ditch and on others, so I think that that is the route I will go down as I feel confident with it.

Bodgit :sungum:

Several (more like seventy!) layers of PVA thinly applied over the base colour works well for water, if needed it can be varnished to give it extra glossy sheen :)

attachicon.gifwaterfeature1P7120066.jpg

Mickey, that is fantastic mate, cheers for the advice and as per my reply to Gary above you  will see that I am going down the PVA route.

Bodgit :sungum:

Interesting discussion, Andy.

Mickey's waterwork is excellent.

At the end of the day, do what YOU feel works best for you.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, You are right about Mickeys Water work, It looks fantastic.

Andy

Yeah thats why it takes so long you have to apply frustratingly thin coats and wait until its absolutely dry for the next coat. Im a bit impatient for that I think although it does look very good when done right.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

It will take longer with thin PVA than Bodgit takes to complete a whole layout ( 70 coats at 2 a day thats five weeks!). I shall be interested in what solution you adopt Andy.

Don

Sounds like your going to get your feet wet Bodgit,?  what l do for water is paint one side of clear plasticard then put the painted side down and you have a water surface looks good in water towers etc...

georgeT?

Edited by georgeT

• RMweb Gold

The most bizarre thing I saw was a layout by Ian Hicks-mudd (hope I have the name right) which used real water across a baseboard joint! Not sure I would recommend that.

Don

Hi George, Duncan, Don and all, I have had a busy few days so not much done on here until this afternoon, I have finished the hillsides and decided not to cover it in Forest as it will hide the back scene, and so it is a series of bushes, I cant post any pics at the moment as I am in the middle of a shoot on back scene painting for RM and also the PVA is still wet so it looks a RIGHT BODGE. :O

More pics over the weekend ,,,,,,promise,

Now its an early night as I have to be up at 05.45 in the morning to watch the Chinese Gran Prix Qualifying, and then at 10 we have someone coming to view the House so all fingers and toes crossed.

Bodgit. :sungum: .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Water.....nice looking pool, there, up at the top of the page.

We'll be having a go at a salty one on Camel Quay  :boast: but at the moment there's still a bit of clay work on the quayside for Ray to do.

There'll just be a few puddles around the watering holes on Great West Road - unless i can squeeze in a bit of the Grand Union Canal or a factory dock.  The latter idea I like because the old margarine factory (later Quaker Oats) opposite Southall shed had one. :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:  

I'll just need to be inventive. :jester:

Hope to see you back in action on here soon, Andy.

Pollymixture

• RMweb Premium

Andy - Hope the prospective buyer was keen!

Enjoy the Grand Prix in the morning. I'm sleeping very badly at the moment so I may be up at the same time - and working in the bunker!

Jeff

Hi Polly and Jeff and all Lunesters and others

I have been promising some new pics for a few days now but I have been waiting for the PVA to dry on the hillside but at last we are there and here are a few from this morning.

post-9335-0-08728700-1365938912_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-34874400-1365938975_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-69562000-1365939041_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-40981100-1365939076_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-57132100-1365939147_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-58980000-1365939239_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-79605600-1365939291_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08009500-1365939369_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-95260900-1365939466_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-34078300-1365939559_thumb.jpg

Bodgit of the Glen

• Like 17

Really liking that Andy. Looks very rural!! Backscene looks superb. I still have issues with the blue water but its turning into a very cracking layout indeed! Also are you adding a footbridge to the platforms?

Cav

Edited by RBE

Hi Polly and Jeff and all Lunesters and others

I have been promising some new pics for a few days now but I have been waiting for the PVA to dry on the hillside but at last we are there and here are a few from this morning.

attachicon.gifGlenfinick Hillside 009.JPG

attachicon.gifGlenfinick Hillside 006.JPG

attachicon.gifGlenfinick Hillside 014.JPG

attachicon.gifGlenfinick Hillside 015.JPG

attachicon.gifGlenfinick Hillside 020.JPG

attachicon.gifGlenfinick Hillside 024 - Copy.JPG

attachicon.gifGlenfinick Hillside 032.JPG

attachicon.gifGlenfinick Hillside 043.JPG

attachicon.gifGlenfinick Hillside 010 - Copy.JPG

attachicon.gifGlenfinick Hillside 022 - Copy.JPG

Bodgit of the Glen

Really liking that Andy. Looks very rural!! Backscene looks superb. I still have issues with the blue water but its turning into a very cracking layout indeed! Also are you adding a footbridge to the platforms?

Cav

Hi Cav, I have been looking at the pics of Glen Gillie and Loch Inch by Peter Midwinter in the Hornby mag so the jury is still out on that one.

Re the footbridge,    NO,     it will be a foot crossing at the Bridge end as per Glenfinnan.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hard to believe you started this less than 5 weeks ago!

Very effective use of the hanging-basket liners. I need to get my ar*e in gear and go and buy some to try out.

Other than the river colour - but that's your choice Andy - superb.

Jeff