Converting RTR locomotives from Finescale to S7

BrushType4

Freshly converted Heljan Class 47.

This conversion from 32mm gauge '0 Finescale' to 33mm gauge 'Scale7' took around 90 minutes to complete.. Who says that S7 has to take an age.

The wheels and axles were pulled from the bogies, turned with an S7 wheel turning tool, then replaced in no time at all. Not even the pickups needed to be modified.

I'd never even used a lathe before :)

Bachmann brassworks class 03, again converted to scale 7. A little bit harder than the Heljan, mainly because the plunger pickups need to be widened to maintain contact with the wheels.

Were you one of the nice gents I spoke to at Ally Pally on the S7 stand?

I came over from the Black Country Blues layout for a chat and discussion on re-wheeling diesels to S7 standards

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just got back from a field visit to Inverness.

Once I've collected my thoughts a representation of Lochgorm works in the eighties may be on the cards, in S7 of course.

If it was you, thanks again for taking the time to chat and give advice.

Don't encourage him...

• RMweb Gold

Diesels do tend to be easier to convert to scale wheels compared to kettles. The same applies in 2mm where the association has drop in wheelsets for some N gauge models. It makes a nice easy way into Scale 7 for anyone interested.

Don

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks good work. did you have to extend the axels of these locos to make them 32mm back to back. I have a Bachmann 08 that I picked up years ago and a chat to the two gents on the S7 stand at cleckheaton exhibition has got me thinking of a S7 conversion. Also would you say that compensation is needed for rolling stock to run satisfactory?

Looks good work. did you have to extend the axels of these locos to make them 32mm back to back. I have a Bachmann 08 that I picked up years ago and a chat to the two gents on the S7 stand at cleckheaton exhibition has got me thinking of a S7 conversion. Also would you say that compensation is needed for rolling stock to run satisfactory?

No need to extend or change the axles. You're only widening by a millimetre from 32mm to 33mm.

The Bachmann 08 is possible and I'm currently doing one, but it is a lot more work because it has outside frames. When converted to S7, these need to be widened very slightly. If you are handy with a soldering iron then its not too much trouble, just takes a bit of time.

Not sure about compensation, I like to have sprung wheels, but really I think if the track is laid properly and the wagons are weighted then you probably don't need compensation on most rolling stock.

Spent all afternoon making a holder for my wheel profiling tool to fin my lathe and it works!I think. So I will probley have a crack at the 08. What kind of springing? Exactoscale maby?or so other.

The 08 has adequate springing already so you'll be fine there. For wagons, it could very much depend. MMP could supply you working leaf springs or it could be as simple as adding a small spring to the axle box if the are free to move up and down in the w iron as Parkside kits do.

A Parkside Grampus

Archived