Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby/Peco 3rd and 4th Radius Curves ?

iirc Peco 3rd radius is the same as Hornby 4th radius i.e. 572mm, Peco 2nd = Hornby 3rd = 505mm 

i think tracksettas are better for HO layouts as they work with a distance of 2" between lines. whilst i think this is meant to be closer to prototype in the UK i think that it is functionally a problem with OO gauge rolling stock which have overhangs on curves that could conflict. 

Edited by sub39h

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

iirc Peco 3rd radius is the same as Hornby 4th radius i.e. 572mm, Peco 2nd = Hornby 3rd = 505mm 

i think tracksettas are better for HO layouts as they work with a distance of 2" between lines. whilst i think this is meant to be closer to prototype in the UK i think that it is functionally a problem with OO gauge rolling stock which have overhangs on curves that could conflict. 

Replying to an old post, but in case someone comes across it...

I am fairly sure that Peco and Hornby 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th radii are the same.

Replying to an old post, but in case someone comes across it...

I am fairly sure that Peco and Hornby 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th radii are the same.

They are.  Both Peco and Hornby follow an established industry standard for setrack geometries.  Bachmann setrack is the same.

1st radius = 371mm

2nd radius = 438mm

3rd radius = 505mm

4th radius = 572mm

Edited by ejstubbs

If you want transition curves you can cut the webs between sleepers on the set track and ease the radius out rather like flexi track except it is stiffer and does not try to spring back or kink.

I have been doing it for years easing 2nd radius out the 3rd or larger when I have had a glut of 2nd radius and couldn't be bothered/ afford to source new 3rd or 4th radius.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It won't go round 1st radius and might go round 2nd (it should tell you on the box).  It'll probably look silly on any radius short of 3ft (which you would have to use flexi-track for).

If you have them enjoy them, just use the largest radius you can.  If you haven't bought one yet, think hard as to whether you want one in a limited space limited curve layout.

• RMweb Premium

Could I ask what is considered to be the tightest radius you would recommend for main line working, in particular with Hornby 2-10-0 9f's running? Thanks

I think the standard Hornby line at the moment is that all locomotives will go through second radius curves . As their standard points are second radius all their locos really have to conform to this , so you will have no difficulty on 2nd radius .   I don't have the latest loco drive 9f from Hornby, but do have the old tender driven ones from the 70s and they go round first radius curves as did all locos in these days .

Certainly if designing a layout now I would make 2nd radius the minimum radius to go down to as some locos are not recommended for first.

As to how it looks , as imt say the bigger the radius the better , but not everyone has the luxury of doing this

Hope this helps

If you want larger radius take a look at Shinohara who do fixed radai code 100 in 2 inch increments from below 24 inch to 36 inch. I think the downside is you can only buy them in complete circle packs.

Is Hornby/poco code 75 or code 100? Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Is Hornby/poco code 75 or code 100? Thanks

"Setback" is all code 100 regardless of who makes it. As with the radius of the curves, the point geometary plus the spacing between multiple tracks, etc are the same allowing you to mix and match different companies products at will.

Peco however do other ranges of track (with their own distinctive product names) which are completely different to "Setrack" in many ways. One such range is the "Streamline" product - which does indeed come in both code 100 and code 75 variants. HOWEVER this range has a completely different set of geometary to "Setrack" and lacks any form of ready made curves. While it is possible to mix "Streamline" and "Setrack", it is down to the modeller to make it work with plenty of cut to length flexi-track needed.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold

+1 for Swansea Victoria, a brilliant place to model with 2 platforms, a scissors, and plenty going on.  And it's in South Wales; what's not to like...

Like a few other people, my first objection to the OP's original plan was the lack of direct access to the suburban platforms for incoming trains, unless there was a facing crossover further out and 2 way working on the outgoing road.  The problem of persuading the punters to walk the length of a main line platform to access their suburban train can be overcome by providing a separate suburban entrance on the road side of the place, bit like Riverside at Cardiff (General).  But, if this is a regional terminus presumably serving a fair size town with suburbs for suburban traffic, where are the goods facilities, where is the parcels depot, and where are the carriage sidings?  All these things are steam age essentials, and the first two need direct up and down access.  And we haven't even discussed engine sheds and how we are going to turn tender locos yet.

Staying in Swansea, might be worth the OP considering a look at High Street for inspiration, 4 platforms but 2 could be shortened for suburban trains; all of the above facilities though admittedly the loco shed is a little way out, and in a fairly compressed valley side site hemmed in by a main road on one side and a steep drop to the river on the other, so a model based on or inspired by it doesn't spread out like Cheltenham St James; it almost looks as if it's on baseboards from the map.  There's even a sneaky little road diving down behind a wall at the back for through running...

Places like Bath Spa don't really count as they were though stations and a train, having arrived, only had to drop off and pick up before it was on it's way again, with no running around or shunting, and no crossover between up and down lines, just move on down the line and make way for the next one.  A terminus is much more involved than that, which is why they are more fun to operate.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

+1 for Swansea Victoria, a brilliant place to model with 2 platforms, a scissors, and plenty going on.  And it's in South Wales; what's not to like...

Like a few other people, my first objection to the OP's original plan was the lack of direct access to the suburban platforms for incoming trains, unless there was a facing crossover further out and 2 way working on the outgoing road.  The problem of persuading the punters to walk the length of a main line platform to access their suburban train can be overcome by providing a separate suburban entrance on the road side of the place, bit like Riverside at Cardiff (General).  But, if this is a regional terminus presumably serving a fair size town with suburbs for suburban traffic, where are the goods facilities, where is the parcels depot, and where are the carriage sidings?  All these things are steam age essentials, and the first two need direct up and down access.  And we haven't even discussed engine sheds and how we are going to turn tender locos yet.

Staying in Swansea, might be worth the OP considering a look at High Street for inspiration, 4 platforms but 2 could be shortened for suburban trains; all of the above facilities though admittedly the loco shed is a little way out, and in a fairly compressed valley side site hemmed in by a main road on one side and a steep drop to the river on the other, so a model based on or inspired by it doesn't spread out like Cheltenham St James; it almost looks as if it's on baseboards from the map.  There's even a sneaky little road diving down behind a wall at the back for through running...

Places like Bath Spa don't really count as they were though stations and a train, having arrived, only had to drop off and pick up before it was on it's way again, with no running around or shunting, and no crossover between up and down lines, just move on down the line and make way for the next one.  A terminus is much more involved than that, which is why they are more fun to operate.

Is this in the right thread?

• RMweb Gold

Never mind - I thought about it and then I enjoyed reading it with reference to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120680-regional-terminus/

Which would be where it was supposed to go in the first place.  Apologies for the inconvenience caused by my technostupidity.  I have always been stupid, of course, but tech enables me to be stupid much more quickly and effectively, in the same way that the introduction of calculators enabled me to get sums wrong to an accuracy of 16 decimal places.

It is possible that I need constant supervision by people who know what they're doing, but everyone I know is at least as daft as me...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1