European Railways Magazine

EddieB

Launched in the 1950s, I believe, by Robert Spark this magazine was probably the first to focus exclusively on overseas railways.  It settled down into four issues per annum and covered modern traction developments as well as reporting where to find steam operations in Europe.  During the latter half of the 1970s, the publishing schedule became more erratic and the issue number gained prominence over the quarter/year of publication.  Eventually, after trying A4 format, the magazine folded in the early 1980s.

Then in 2002, the magazine was relaunched (by Robert Spark's son ISTR) after a gap of around twenty years - no. 150 picking up the issue numbering from where it had left off.  I subscribed to the new format magazine for a few years before deciding some rationalisation was necessary and stopping my subscription.  Unlike the original series, the re-released issues had a modelling section, among other things.

Out of interest, what happened to the magazine?  Is it still in production, and if not when did it finish?  I haven't found any mention since dropping my subscription.

Glad to know you were a reader of my late father's magazine, EddieB.

Publication started in 1949, initially monthly in a format roughly equating to A4 and then six times a year through the 1950s until my father's work commitments forced a change to quarterly. Those same commitments, as PR for a Danish shipping company which involved frequent trips abroad, were the cause of its erratic publication in the 70s and early 80s.

Originally, it was intended for American railway enthusiasts who had become interested in the European systems during the war, so early editions were priced in US cents and used Americanisms such a 'switcher' and 'caboose'. In due course, the readership became more diverse - at one time both the KGB and the CIA were subscribers! - but a few of the original US subscribers remained to the end (issue 149). As you say, it was revived for a time, but not by me; it was Trevor Ridley who relaunched the title after taking over the associated Continental railway books business a couple of years after my father's death in December 1996. Sadly, but perhaps inevitably, both the magazine and the book business seem to have faded away after a few years.

I inherited numerous box files containing photographs that were used in the magazine or intended for publication. My father had the idea of producing one or two European Railways books that would make use of some of this material or reprint, in a larger format, a selection of articles from the magazines. Another plan was to produce a pictorial book primarily for modellers illustrating trackside huts, station equipment, level crossings etc. Unfortunately time was against him once more. It's still there in the back of my mind, however!

A fascinating history there S, Third Rail, and welcome to these forums.  While I'd love to see the material you mention appearing in print, I doubt whether the market is wide enough to make such a venture viable.

It was probably a lack of funds that prevented me from taking out a subscription when I first discovered the magazine as a schoolboy in the 'seventies, though I did buy copies whenever I saw them and think I also ordered some books from your father (the "taschenbuch" style covering various countries).  Since then I've added a few back numbers going back to 1965 (hence my ignorance about the beginnings of the magazine).  I bet those subscriptions weren't in the names of James Jesus Angleton and Felix Dzerzhinsky!  Still there's probably as Stasi file with my name on it, somewhere.

Now another subject that cropped up recently was sugar estate systems on Mauritius and the locomotives supplied by Penney & Co.  But that's for another time, perhaps...

Now that sounds suspiciously like inside knowledge, EddieB! Sugar estate systems in Mauritius, indeed... That's a subject that could take up a lot of web space (more than 1,000 miles of NG running lines on an island the size of Anglesey). Plus the wonderful Mauritius Government Railways with its ancient Sharp Stewart 0-6-0 tanks and Garratts and... I could go on, but, as you say, best leave that for another time.

Now that sounds suspiciously like inside knowledge, EddieB! Sugar estate systems in Mauritius, indeed... That's a subject that could take up a lot of web space (more than 1,000 miles of NG running lines on an island the size of Anglesey). Plus the wonderful Mauritius Government Railways with its ancient Sharp Stewart 0-6-0 tanks and Garratts and... I could go on, but, as you say, best leave that for another time.

[PM sent.]

• RMweb Gold

Unlike the original series, the re-released issues had a modelling section, among other things.

We had a few short pieces in the magazine around 2007/ 2008 on our TT Czech layout ' Smrzovka' just before WH Smiths pulled the plug on selling the magazine.

ian

My father had the idea of producing one or two European Railways books that would make use of some of this material or reprint, in a larger format, a selection of articles from the magazines. Another plan was to produce a pictorial book primarily for modellers illustrating trackside huts, station equipment, level crossings etc. Unfortunately time was against him once more. It's still there in the back of my mind, however!

Sounds like a project for the Apple Bookstore and/or print-on-demand. I hope it all comes to fruition!

Archived