The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Prepaid Mastercards - any experience?

Jonboy

• RMweb Gold

Hi All

I am looking to get a prepaid Mastercard for use with low value online orders (Google store, ITunes, kindle etc.) rather than risking the main bank/card details for what seems to be ever more frequent online spending.

Has anyone else done this and have any suggestions as to which card to use or any horror stories of cards to avoid?

(I am aware PayPal etc. have buyer protection etc., but I would rather avoid the bank account being emptied to start with than dealing with disputes etc.)

Thanks

Jon

Not for online, but I got a prepaid Visa from the Post Office for going on holiday to Malta. Loaded most of my spending money on it and had no bother at all, all the shops took it with no question and no concerns with ATMs.

• RMweb Gold

I have taken them preloaded with dollars or euros on holiday. I used the euro version in various EU countries. however it wouldn't work in Germany to buy things but it did work in German ATMs. Strangely I was able to use it to buy something online from a German model railway shop.

I use a prepaid Euro card both online and whilst in the Eurozone,

Never had a problem using it, whereas with my normal debit card quite often using it in Italy can be a problem.

Tends to be a better rate of exchange and no withdrawal fees, easy to top up by phone text or online.

I order a far bit in Euros so it's pretty good for that, you can get Sterling based versions too, no fees to set it up and none to use, only downside may be the top up amount.

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for the information so far.

I am curious about the PayPal MasterCard - If I make a PayPal payment through the work account and there are insufficient funds in the PayPal account it automatically debits the bank account - does the MasterCard not do this? (I don't normally sell anything through my home account so it always funds directly through my credit card).

Archived