3.5XL sound Ok traction out advice please

MiDAS

Hi,

Just to be problematic I have a 3.5XL decoder which has sounds operating as normal but the motor control is defective. My control is via an ECoS unit which when power is supplied shows the power supplied momentarily before dropping back to Zero. Also I am unable to change loco direction, head and tail lights change for a fraction of a second. With the sound off with gentle movement of the controller I can get a little movement in one direction only. The loco was dropped at an exhibition and there may have been a short on a damaged bogie.

The chip will allow CV's to be read and changed. I have tried a CV8 reset without any improvements. I have tried disconnecting the motor's to check for overload but this does not help either. 

I would be obliged if you have any ideas if you could let me know before I scrap the decoder and start again.

Terry

In the first instance it was an assumption. I had repaired some quite nasty damage to one bogie (brass) and I assumed the problem was with something I had done or with the chip. In the end it was one of the ECoS controllers that was at the bottom of it all. I run two, with the slave unit feeding into the sniffer port on the master. The slave unit also has radio control fitted and for some reason best known to it was not releasing the loco to the master and they were attempting to contradict one another.

The fix was in the end to remove the loco details from the slave unit and then re-enter them again.. fingers crossed all appears to be well

Archived