N gauge network rail

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Are the Electra graphics easy to apply because I have seen some brilliant ones, and also some horrid ones where it has been done horribly

They need care. Your first one wiill probably not be brilliant but the next ones will get better.

I tend to use the ones that go on a flat surface such as the Farish Mk3's and Mk2's. I havent mastered putting them round curved fronts yet.

I tend to spray the sheet with a couple of coats of Dullcote before removing them from the sheet. This seals the surface from any damp as priopr to this I did get a few small marks on the surface. The dullcote also takes away the high shine.

The sides can be removed and repositioned once or twice as long as you haven't pressed them down fully.

So far we have the Chiltern Mainline set, EWS business train, Network Rail HST coaches, Network rail Ultrasonic test train. The EWS test train had the sides sprayed as above and I think it looks much better than our earlier ones..

I have also done a FGW class 165. The sides are very good but I didnt get the front end quite right. This has now been replaced with a Shapeways body which has the correct profile which the Farish 168 body shell doesnt for a 165.

Others are planned.

Ian

They need care. Your first one wiill probably not be brilliant but the next ones will get better.

I tend to use the ones that go on a flat surface such as the Farish Mk3's and Mk2's. I havent mastered putting them round curved fronts yet.

I tend to spray the sheet with a couple of coats of Dullcote before removing them from the sheet. This seals the surface from any damp as priopr to this I did get a few small marks on the surface. The dullcote also takes away the high shine.

The sides can be removed and repositioned once or twice as long as you haven't pressed them down fully.

So far we have the Chiltern Minline set, EWS business train, Network Rail HST coaches, Network rail Ultrasonic test train. The EWS test train had the sides sprayed as above and I htink it looks much better than our earlier ones..

I have also done a FGW class 165. The sides are very good but I didnt get the front end wuite right. This has now been replaced with a Shapeways body whihc has the correct profile which the Farish 168 body shell doesnt for a 165.

Others are planned.

Ian

Is it easier to reprint or use the transfers

I LOVE YOUR LAYOUT!!!!!

Did the person who owns the stock use the Electra transfers on his stock?

Also, at the international n gauge show a couple of years ago, I saw your layout and there were network rail auto baluster wagons. We're these painted as they were brilliant!

• RMweb Gold

I LOVE YOUR LAYOUT!!!!!

Did the person who owns the stock use the Electra transfers on his stock?

Also, at the international n gauge show a couple of years ago, I saw your layout and there were network rail auto baluster wagons. We're these painted as they were brilliant!

Thanks.

Yes he used Electra Graphics.

It was last year that the layout was at The International N Gauge Show.. The yellow autoballasters are mine. They are  the N Gauge Society kits. They still need weathering but that will soon be rectified.

Ian

With the electra graphics network rail transferres, the set of 5 is meant for mk3 coaches. Is this only the old farish ones? Also, does the paint need stripping back on the coaches before the transferres are placed on?

and finally, to buy them, do i just need to send him an email?

I've done a few coaches now for my irish n scale project, you do need to strip them 1st , u use the older Poole? Bodies , somebody may correct me on this, I generally use brasso and cotton wool to get rid of the printed livery and details. I've had good results with my coaches, and I think someone mentioned if you c**k up Adam (captain electra) will sort out the damaged piece so you indeed don't have to buy a whole new pack.

• RMweb Gold

I have generally used the newer Chinese bodies (Made in China on the underside) and stripped them using brasso. The mk3's are still readily available. The old mk 1's are harder to find new but many 2nd hand traders have them.

I believe that nail varnish remover is better on the Poole built ones but I have also used Brasso on the odd one or two of these. However these Poole built ones do need more elbow greese.

Make sure you wash the bodies a few times afterwards to get all the Brasso off them.

Ian

Archived