Smoking Hornby 28XX 2-8-0

D86

Having purchased a Hornby GWR 28XX yesterday at the Gloucester & Warwicks Railway, I returned home (on the Isle of Wight) and put it on the layout to run it in.........Unfortunately, it was very intermittent and would only work when the loco was pushed sideways (either left or right). It then tested it on my Peco wheel cleaner to see if that was the problem but then it decided to drop in power and then smoke appeared. So, my question is (due to the fact that the GWR is a long way to go and return it and also, I didn't get a receipt.........schoolboy error, I know!!), is it possible to get a replacement motor (I've looked online to no avail) or will I have to sent it to a service centre?

Many thanks in advance...

Steve

• RMweb Premium

I take it the item was sold as new?  If so and as you may be beyond reasonable disatance from a retailer who can act as a service centre I suggest emailing Hornby for advice first.  On no account apply any more power to a locomotive which has produced smoke from the motor.

Thanks for the advice, it's one of the Loco drive (R2916 2-8-0 "2812") models. I'll give Hornby a try first and see what they say.

Thanks

Steve

Having just had another look, the capacitor looks to have burnt out plus the red wire is exposed and maybe, it has shorted out on the metal chassis whilst inside the loco body?

Archived