Locomotives on trains from Stratford-upon-Avon through Leamington Spa in the early '70s

johnlambert

I don't think this has been covered before. I'm modelling Claverdon station in Warwickshire, between Hatton and Bearley junctions. Although my main focus is the end of steam services on the line I'd like to represent the post-steam period too.

There are plenty of photos of steam services in the area but practically nothing of diesel locomotives (plenty of DMUs). Were there regular loco hauled passenger trains from 1967 into the 1970s? If so, any idea what locos would have worked those services?

I have seen a photo of a Class 31 (although it was D5695 at the time) at Stratford in the 1960s) and a couple of Westerns in the 1970s but these were special, charter services rather than timetabled trains.

Also if anyone knows what, if any, freight services worked over the line that would be great too. Would iron ore trains from Banbury to South Wales take that route to the Honeybourne-Cheltenham line?

Thanks in advance for any information, useful links or photos people can provide.

The Hatton - Bearley route was used for diversionary purposes in the post 1967 period John (for freight and passenger workings), providing the crews had knowledge of the route or had conductor drivers on board. With triangles intact at both ends it was a very useful bit of railway. By then though the iron ore trains which cut across to Honeybourne to get to and from South Wales had ceased to run. In 1960 a new double tracked chord was laid in off the S&MJR line near Stratford Racecourse to facilitate a lot of this traffic, but by about 1965 the chord was little used.

Traction in use in the area during the period you're interested in would have been 20s, 25s, 31s, Peaks, 47s and Westerns, with the outside possibility (and some modeller's liscence!) of the odd stray Hymek. The 20s would have come from Toton on Severn Tunnel Junction bound freights, which would normally have been routed via the North Warks line but in practical terms I see no reason why they couldn't have come down through Lapworth and forked right at Hatton North Jcn, providing the crews had a route conductor on board. I've not seen any evidence of this but it was always a possibility.

Hope that's a good start...! The lines radiating from Honeybourne have long been favourites of mine, particularly the Stratford - Cheltenham route and it's connections to Leamington and Brum..... much overlooked in some ways I've always thought.

Edit : another thought has just occured - any engineering trains working the Leamington - Bearley stretch could have come from either Worcester, Saltley or Bescot so you could have the excuse for just about anything that these three depots were trained on on these turns.

Just asked the question over on the Old Oak facebook page John - I forgot to mention that Tyseley crews still worked all kinds of stuff in the area so anything spare that turned up there could be picnched for jobs if required.

• RMweb Gold

From what I recall there were few loco hauled trains via Claverdon by 1967. One of the last regulars was at about 5.45pm from Snow Hill to Evesham, which in the mid 1960s was a regular Castle working. The line had been singled and Bearley North curve gone by early 1969. The few freights and passenger diversions via Stratford to Cheltenham usually ran via the North Warwicks.

Thanks. I wasn't sure when Bearley North curve was removed.

As far as I can tell Snow Hill services were dramatically cut back after 1967 so I presume the Snow Hill to Evesham service was withdrawn or replaced by a DMU working rather than being taken over by a diesel loco?

• RMweb Gold

Dramatically is an understatement. After the beginning of March 1967 IIRC there was only one passenger train each way through the tunnel. Moor St was only used by peak time trains, with most of the remaining service transferred to New St.

I think the 5.45 service was cut back to Stratford c.1964, which is probably when it ceased to be steam hauled. Its route also varied between timetables, at one time it was non-stop Stratford via the NWL and at another time it had a Solihull stop.

The author of "Birmingham Footplateman" Dennis Herbert describes taking a Crompton Parkinson type 4 (class 45) on an excursion from Derby to Stratford in around 1970 if that's of any help.

Thanks again for all the useful info I've received as a result of this topic.  It seems that the "bread and butter" services were exclusively DMU worked from the end of steam with no regular locomotive hauled trains.  But Stratford's popularity as a tourist destination suggests that almost anything goes in terms of charter trains visiting the town.  Peaks and 47s seem to be the most frequent visitors but there are plenty of other options too; including 31s and 33s.  If I wanted to wind the clock forward to the 1980s there was also a revival of steam charters so I could sneak an A4 into my collection without it being completely out of place.

Much of the fun I get from this hobby is from researching historical stuff.

• RMweb Gold

.  If I wanted to wind the clock forward to the 1980s there was also a revival of steam charters so I could sneak an A4 into my collection without it being completely out of place.

Or even two. I photographed 4468 and 4498 standing side by side at SoA in 1986. 4472 also worked in that year, running light from Banbury to Dorridge with 4468 then tender first back to SoA. Also Castles, Halls, Manors, 5593, 34092 and 35028 were all seen in that era to name but a few. Diesel locos used to go to SoA to shunt and provide heating when the train loco went to turn. The ones I saw were from Saltley via the NWL but others may have gone via Hatton. I don't know whether ETHELs made it to SoA, they certainly came through Acocks Green on specials in the 1980s.

In 1987 20022 and 20126 ran down the North Warwickshire to SoA then out via Leamington. Later some 20s put in an appearance on a weedkiller train so there are a few interesting things to go for, even a Q1 and U 2-6-0 on a railtour in via the SMJ and on to Leamington in 1965.

Archived