Where to go in and around Phoenix for railway photography?

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

I'm off again on a works trip - this time to Phoenix AZ!

I won't have a car but will have some spare time for some photography of trains in and around the downtown / CBD area - I know there are no Amtrak services in Phoenix itself, but that there are freight services, but is there somewhere I should head to especially for some photography?

I shall be staying around ASU/Tempe area for a few days in mid-April (Tuesday-Sunday).

Any advice/pointers would be most welcome!

all the best,

Keith

If you are there for a weekend it is worth hiring a car. Drive north to Flagstaff (about 90mins) lots of action on the BNSF Transcon Mainline. 1.2mile long trains every few minutes (it's double tracked). Go to the old Depot down-town (actually you can see it from I40).

Here's a website dedicated to Phoenix area: http://www.geocities.com/~aeromoe/Peavine.html

Action at Flagstaff: 

These things get up to 70mph outside town........

If you get a chance go back to Phoenix via Sedona, one of the most beautiful landscapes in the World.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks there, Pete - I suspect I'll be unable to squeeze in Flagstaff on this trip unfortunately, though I did make it there in the late '90s and recall the parade of freights (especially at night while trying to sleep in a motel near the tracks!). 

I'll just have the odd hour spare here and there during my time in Phoenix so will try out the local spots - the Peavine website (thanks) took me to this: http://www.qstation.org/atsf/phoenix.html

with some downtown localities mentioned, so time for a close look at Google Earth I think to see where these places are!

Any further suggestions most welcome,

all the best,

Keith

The problem with Phoenix is that local public transport is next to non-existent (and if there are any buses you may not want to board them). I have no idea what the Taxi situation is like.

My problem with Phoenix is I want to get out of it asap - usually because of the excessive heat.

Take some photos when you go!

Cheers, Pete.

When I was in Phoenix with Roundhouse a few years ago now Phoenix wasn't too railfan friendly. As you prob picked up from the Peavine website BNSF's Mobest Yard isn't too accessible and is surrounded by chain link fence that make photography difficult. If you have a car you can access the industrial areas between Modest and the UP yard but there were a lot of homeless wandering around so it's not a great place to hang around on your own.

Dan

• RMweb Gold

hmm, thanks for these replies chaps!

sounds like Phoenix is not the most appealing of places to be staying - excessive heat, difficult to get around and lacking in photo opportunities, perhaps a hire car beckons after all - though the prospect of an (air conditioned) brew pub (if there is one) might make the stay more pleasurable.

Guess I'll just have to do some work while I am there...

all the best,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Take the light rail to the end of the line at Tempe. I some good bars there including a few brew pubs. We did it before the light rail opened so jot sure how close it stops to them (think it's near to the Gordon Birch brewpub) . However there are some good bars in Tempe that do various craft beers. I one nice touch is that some of the restaurants and bars in Tempe spray a fine water mist around the outside seating area which is very refreshing.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Terrific, thanks Ian - Tempe is just where I'm staying for my time there, so at least my other main hobby (drinking beer) will be satisfied while in Phoenix! all the best, Keith

That's OK

We spend a lot of our time in the USA doing trains scenery and beer.

If you can find a bus to the Popago Bar which is also to the East of downtown Phoenix then you you will have a great time in there with their beers and the huge range of other USA beers.

There's another brewpub in the Tempe area but that is also a bus ride from the centre of Tempe which is a University of area hence all the bars.

If I can find the info from our trip in 2007 I will pass it on.

Ian

I don't know when you're going, Keith, (or if you'll make it to Flagstaff) but they are having the "Made in the Shade" beer tasting festival on June 22 there.

From 1 - 5 pm, bloody hell, drink fast....

Best, Pete.

That's OK

We spend a lot of our time in the USA doing trains scenery and beer.

If you can find a bus to the Popago Bar which is also to the East of downtown Phoenix then you you will have a great time in there with their beers and the huge range of other USA beers.

There's another brewpub in the Tempe area but that is also a bus ride from the centre of Tempe which is a University of area hence all the bars.

If I can find the info from our trip in 2007 I will pass it on.

Ian

To jog your memory Ian, Popago was in Scottsdale with a Best Western just round the corner. The brewpub in Tempe was Four Peaks Brewey - this one did a cask beer on hand pull as well as the usual US keg style. Both these still have active websites from a search on Google

That said the best located brewpub on that trip was the Nimbus Brewery in Tuscon that was next the UP Sunset route

Ah happy days.....

Dan

Archived