Best camera for model work

David C

• RMweb Premium

A very pertinent thread as I am caught between the rock and hard place of quality versus affordability and the acute need to build a portfolio of top quality images of my work.  I have any number of forum-quality shots many of which suffer from restricted depth of field but are fine to show a central subject on a monitor.  I have some slides which I took on the SLR before it decided enough was enough and forced my hand into seeking a replacement; those have generally better depth but loss of colour and clarity has occurred through the scanning process.  I am looking at a Canon 6D or 7D.  But only looking until the manufacturers stop releasing such superb models or the lottery pays out ;)

My current camera is now the Nikon L120 at the lower end of the Coolpix range and for which I read numerous reviews before taking the plunge.  That plunge was also dictated to an extent by this model being the best available through the work Reward & Recgonition scheme and therefore came at no cost which was a major bonus.  Not all the reviews were good but the balance of opinion was that it is a good-for-cost mid-range product sitting above the phones and compacts though not attempting to reach DSLR quality.  I have not been entirely happy with its optical performance nor the results obtained in what I consider to be a competent and experienced pair of hands.

It has variable white balance and ISO but no manual setting and, critically for me, no adjustable aperture or priority.  I therefore have great difficulty getting full depth focus as it operates most of the time at around f4.  I can stand back and use the optical zoom for some angles but not many and it is a known limitation of this and all similar cameras that image quality suffers at full zoom.  It also suffers significantly above ISO800 though the camera will go to 6400.

I have recently offered advice to a friend asking how to get good shots of modelling work and stated there that aperture priority is a must and that if possible it should be stopped down to at least f22.  Obviously individual circumstances and shots require different settings, lighting and techniques but if I could myself manage anything at f22 (even f8 would help) I would not now be looking at the cost of hiring camera and lenses for a weekend to do my own "shoot" rather than struggle to present a quality portfolio.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy, looks like such a nice garden that Monty Don parked his 2CV there when he visited.

Hello all,

We are all agreed that one needs some manual control. I would add to that and although I've already mentioned it above I would like to emphasise what I see as a 'must have' ... a tilt and swivel screen, i.e. in a narrow room where my camera on a tripod is up against a wall I can see the image at 100% easily, it's much easier to compose a pic using the screen. If the viewpoint is much lower than standing position I can easily use the screen without having to kneel or sit.

Another use is making photographs of buildings and turning them into low relief models, a viewfinder is just not large enough to see the vertical and horizontal lines properly, a screen it makes it that much easier.

I took this in Sheffield

2ppjzf9.jpg

And converted it to this which was printed in layers for my last layout.

2i77806.jpg

For those interested in the technique I have done a little video of how to do it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yy52QGxAZU

Cheers - Jim

Hi Andy,

wait until autumn and when will that be? If I were to comment on the image you've shown, I think many folk would get upset, but as I said, have fun trying (to scale nature, that is).

It seems that many of the camera suggestions are getting beyond the £100,00 mark. I had assumed David was concerned with making images of his models at low cost, and posting on the web for sharing, as that seems to be what goes on here, in rmweb. If it is general photography that is the primary concern, then it may be best to look at the review and sales sites, and get into a dealer's shop and try them out, since  the rate of development in these items is pretty fast, and second hand may be a better option.

Best wishes,

Ray

Guest Jim Read

Hello Ray,

You're quite right the thread has drifted, in the light of your post I would reccommend the Olympus C-5060 a 5MP wide angle compact with a tilting rear screen.

These cameras have titanium bodies and were used by Alex Majoli a Magnum* photographer for fashion and documentary work http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844 everything you can do with a DSLR you can do with this.

They can be bought for £60 to £100 from eBay, here's one for £60 on a 'buy it now' http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-C-5060-SLR-Type-Wide-Zoom-Digital-Camera-/171022380997?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item27d1ba6fc5

Cheers - Jim

*One of if not the best photo agency in the world

Hi Jim,

The same ebay seller has a Nikon coolpix too, I had a slightly later model than that, took superb images, but being used to Canon, I found the interface tricky, and the shutter lag was terrible, but the image quality was fine.

If David would rather buy non-ebay, then Wex are having a 'spring stock clearance sale'. They have second user stuff, open box etc., most with 6 months warranty http://www.wexphotographic.com/used/s1008?cm_mmc=exacttarget-_-marketing-_-lm_1101987-_-used-banner

(I hope that link works) :scratchhead: )

Best wishes,

Ray

• 3 months later...

Only just caught up with this thread. I have both a Nikon D300s DSLR (with various lenses) and a Lumix TZ25.  There's a place for both but the Lumix is more 'in scale' with railway models and often give better results when trying to capture an overall scene.  The smaller lens and smaller sensor are advantages for this sort of work and I can recommend the Lumix cameras.

post-19820-0-26998900-1375907517.jpg

Example using Lumix TZ25, showing great depth of field from small format

On the other hand, if I'm trying to take 'studio shots' of a single model, then the Nikon provides much more detail, because the larger sensor offers more dynamic range and lower 'noise', which are key factors in image quality.  But you pay an awful lot for that!

post-19820-0-23187400-1375907768.jpg

Example using Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens

MikeOxon

• 4 months later...

Alas, the gearbox on the s*****g car went along with all spare funds, so a new camera suddenly was out of the question. Finances have now recovered a little (I sold a body part, but I'm not saying which one!!!!)

The choice is narrowing somewhat and is currently between a Nikon Coolpix L320 and a Panasonic Lumix LZ30 with a Sony DSCH200B as a third possibility. (The Canon G12 doesn't seem to be available new). The Panasonic's aperture range is f2 to f15.3 which is better than the other two, but it has no manual focus. Depth of field is (so I understand) not a problem with digital photography using the various "stacking" programmes, but would the inability to manually focus prevent the use of such programmes? 

Sorry if this is a basic and rather obvious question, but I am fumbling my way all this new fangled technology (!) 

If anyone has any other thoughts on the above choices (or indeed, any other cameras), I would be grateful. I think the budget could stretch to a bit above my original £100 mark.

Thanks in advance

David C

but would the inability to manually focus prevent the use of such programmes? 

Probably so David; it depends if the camera allows you to control where it autocuses upon - for instance on the G12 you can control a zone on the screen to select which zone of the content you want the autofocus to work upon. I'll try and get chance to read some reviews on your other choices and see what the potential is.

This is what I am currently using  http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-finepix-f600exr-camera-review-17709

- I'm VERY happy with it, but whether it will suit your purposes, I can obviously not say - what I will say is "get thee down to a camera shop and see what is comfortable in your hand" - the best advice I was ever given re photography. I also have a Manfrotto Mp1-Co1 mini tripod that can remain permanently on the bottom - but watch the prices on ebay - some are silly to say the least!

eBay item number:
Hope it helps

EDIT - I have just seen this which may be of interest 

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?154397-Looking-for-a-new-camera

Archived