I've been told I'm stranger for it, but I've fallen in love the the Woodhead route locos, specifically the Class 76.  I choose to model in N scale, and live in the midwestern U.S.  I found MSL hobbies on a search one night, and ordered one of their 2mm 76 etches.

Now, this isn't my first time with photoetch.  I build armor models primarily, so I've seen a bit of photoetch, but I've never built a full etch kit like this.  Any tips?

Also, MSL decided to ask for a Kato EH-10 loco as the donor for the kit.  Not only does this make little sense to me, the EH-10 being a double loco, but there are no local distributors for Japan-outline Kato, and the loco has never come up at a local show.  I was wondering if anybody has built this kit, or is familiar with it, to where they could direct me to a more suitable donor, preferrably something US-outline Kato, with the same motor and bogies.

Also, MSL decided to ask for a Kato EH-10 loco as the donor for the kit.  Not only does this make little sense to me, the EH-10 being a double loco,

but there are no local distributors for Japan-outline Kato, and the loco has never come up at a local show.  I was wondering if anybody has built this kit, or is familiar with it, to where they could direct me to a more suitable donor, preferrably something US-outline Kato, with the same motor and bogies.

The Kato EH10 model is 2 locos permanently coupled with a drive shaft between the 2.. No flywheels but they still run very well.. They can be separated, but only one will be powered. I have used them to power New Zealand prototype electrics before.

And this seems to be a good US location to find them.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kato-N-Japanese-Electric-Locomotive-p/kat-3005-1.htm

As for assembling phtoetches, you can solder them together, but if you can't master the black art, then glue will surfice.

Archived