Bachmann Hampshire Unit Conversion to EM gauge

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This might help http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_class108.html . I followed it though for P4 and it works. Also I found it to be a better conversion than the Branchlines conversion which I have also tried. Regards

Hi David,

This looks like the best option. For P4 you must have followed Option C. This is the I would go for EM.

Quick question, the picture shows drilling out the gear to suit 2mm axles, did the bushes not need drilling out as well?

Question asked without the benefit of dismantling the power bogie.

Rgds

Russell

Not a Hampshire but this any usehttp://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_class501.htmlStu

Thanks Stu

Quick question, the picture shows drilling out the gear to suit 2mm axles, did the bushes not need drilling out as well?

With the pickups on the tyre rim you don't need the bushes; chuck 'em.

Bachmann have, conceptually, duplicated the way the power was supplied to bulbs on Everyready bicycle lamps of years ago. IE they have used phosphor bronze strip to connect the wheels to the motor. I did away with all of that fearing that there would be reliability issues with connectivity just as there was with the bicycle lamps. Out came the PCB that runs under the floor too, being replaced with conventional wires. That is why I prefer this conversion using AGW wheels to the Branchlines conversion which uses as much as the Bachmann design as possible to make it as quick as possible to convert. There's nothing at all wrong with the Branchlines wheels, nothing at all, it's the Bachmann design I have a problem with.

Regards

Let's if we can do this converion on saturday morning then.

With the pickups on the tyre rim you don't need the bushes; chuck 'em.Bachmann have, conceptually, duplicated the way the power was supplied to bulbs on Everyready bicycle lamps of years ago. IE they have used phosphor bronze strip to connect the wheels to the motor. I did away with all of that fearing that there would be reliability issues with connectivity just as there was with the bicycle lamps. Out came the PCB that runs under the floor too, being replaced with conventional wires. That is why I prefer this conversion using AGW wheels to the Branchlines conversion which uses as much as the Bachmann design as possible to make it as quick as possible to convert. There's nothing at all wrong with the Branchlines wheels, nothing at all, it's the Bachmann design I have a problem with.Regards

Right, saturday morning job then. Thanks.

OK so with the help and guidance of the above I did the EM Gauge conversion this weekend.

Starting with the power car:-

Removed the body: There are two screws hidden by the front of the power bogie. Sides from the body sprung out with a six inch steel rule and slips of card used to stop the body from returning on to the retaining lugs. There are two on each; at the centre and at the inner end.

Removed the bogie outer frame and the wheel sets. Removed the drive gear and opened it out to 2mm. I used EM Gauge society coach wheels, removing the wheels from their axle, shortening the axles to approx 22mm (overall width of wheel sets, sorry can't remember exact dimension but can be measured from a new set).  Drove the axle in to gear and positioned centrally. I then turned round the brass bearings as the outside slots are not required for the current collectors.  Refitted wheels on axles.

post-2598-0-09494000-1414348155.jpg

I removed the current collectors and trimmed off the ends that previously ran in the bearing slots on the split axles and replaced with phosper bronze wire soldered and tweaked to form new collectors

post-2598-0-05997400-1414348717.jpg

The unpowered bogie was very easy. Removed split axle wheel sets and then unscrew the brass current collectors and trim back the pinpoint bearing sections. The EM gauge wheel sets run in the plastic frames without the brass sections. I soldered new current collectors and refitted the assemblies and adjusted the wire pickups accordingly.

post-2598-0-12493300-1414349109.jpg

Trailer Car:-

This was a bit more dificult mainly because the the brass pick ups are not the same as the power car, they have brake gear moulded on to the brass so I could see no way of solderding new current collectors to them.

My solution was as per previously published. Solder drop wires to rubbing plates in chasis assembly.

post-2598-0-29359400-1414349387.jpg

post-2598-0-70986900-1414349483.jpg

For the bogies I trimmed off the contact section above the bogie and everything except the brake gear and screw hole in the existing brass pickup.  I opened out the holes in the bogie where the brass orginally went up through to 3mm. I glued two pieces of copper clad sleeper strip pre drilled to allow the dropper wire to come down through. The dropper wire was soldered one side and current collectors added to the other.  Refitted brakes.

post-2598-0-62171300-1414349752.jpg

Archived