simple dcc sound problem Dapol 156

jagger14

Hi, I am getting very anoyed and stressed with my 156.. I have installed loksound dcc chip, speaker and light bar all shud be plug and play. It seems to be shorting out, it won't move without the light bar and sound flickering. I know there are lots of threads but non seem to match my problem. It works on dc fine and the chip works in other locos so it's a problem with the 156. Has anyone got any suggestions or had the same problem?

• RMweb Premium

The electrical pick-up on the Dapol N Gauge class 156 is notoriously poor. It relies on springs to get power from the bogies to the main chassis block. It might be worth checking that your springs are making contact. The bogies pull off.

It's also worth checking that your controller can provide enough power for the sound decoder, light-bar & anything else you've got on the track at the same time.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Sorry Steven, you were correct with the first solution... I have cleaned them and added as much weight as I can and it seems to fine.

I am amazed how bad the soldering etc... Is from Dapol, they seem to have soldered the wires on then coated it up with half a tube of EVO stick...... Think I may stay away from Dapol for a while this one has put me off massively!.

Thanks for your help

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

Good to hear that you've got things working.

Dapol went through a bad patch with regards to loco wiring. The class 73 and Hymeks were fine. The Class 156, 153 (and to a lesser extent the 58s) weren't great. Fitting decoders to locos of this time can also be a bit hit and miss. I gave up getting a Digitrax DZ125IN to fit the class 58, removed most of the Dapol circuitry and hard-wired a decoder it after loosing patience with the Dapol wiring after the lighting wires came off from the body.

As I mentioned before the method of getting power from the bogies to the chassis using the springs is especially poor on the Super Sprinters. Fortunatly things have improved and the class 56s appear to be better. Hopefully the forthcoming hydraulics will continue the upward trend.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Thanks Steven much appeciated...

So has anyone found a solution to the spring pick up problem? i am thinking a thin flexable wire between the bogie and the chassis? it is just impossible to get it to run smoothly as it comes from Dapol....

• RMweb Premium

A wire would work; I've been wondering if soldering the base of the spring to the bogie and adding a "top" to the spring to increase the area in contact with the main chassis block would work.

I'd certainly be interested to hear of other solutions to the problem.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Replace the springs with cut down Farish brush springs.

I've found that the trouble with Dapol's design is not the design, but the fact the springs get compressed and don't then spring back (made from the wrong material?)! Farish ones don't seem to do this, so are perfect. They are the same diameter (or close enough) to fit over the copper contact pegs on the Dapol bogies.

Cheers,
Alan

Cracking info guys!! Alan your solution is soo simple!! i am going to try this tonight, will report back. I cant help feeling that this wouldnt be a problem if they were about 3 times heavier than they are, if you put your hand down on the top of them giving the spring a good contact it works perfectly!

Archived