Does anyone have a couple of HO CANADIAN 4-bay cylindrical hoppers ....

shortliner

Been collecting these myself - the Intermountain ones. (the alternative is Bachmann but they are badly proportioned and you certainly can't mix the two). The RTR versions are much nicer than the kits, which take a long time to build. Problem is, the red CANADA and the orange/brown Saskatchewan seem to be the most common RTR versions but in real life the original Canadian Wheat Board livery still outnumbers all the others, even if it is now looking very worn. Postage on freightcars from North America seems to be based on how keen the seller is, or isn't, to deal with overseas customers. I'm sure most of them are priced to deter overseas buyers. About £10 should be more than enough to post a single car (even that makes a £20 model pretty expensive) but some of them are quoting postage around the £25 mark and its absurd.

CHRIS LEIGH

US postage to Europe has rocketed upwards several times in the past year or so.  I used to send my UK family 1LB boxes of chocs as presents at holiday time. Now the postage is several times the price of the chocs. 1st Class cannot be insured, but that goes up rapidly every 2 oz. The insurable Priority minimum postage starts at the 1 LB rate

For the latest postage rates check the US post office site. www.usps.com It's arduous to get the info, but it's there if you dig.

Even so, be grateful, :O I think it's still less than buying UK stuff and having that shipped out here. Possibly why UK modeling isn't as popular here as US modeling is in Europe.

Ted

There's a red Canadian one on eBay now, in Whitby with reasonable postage, although the reasonableness of the price is your opinion

There's a red Canadian one on eBay now, in Whitby with reasonable postage, although the reasonableness of the price is your opinion

Been collecting these myself - the Intermountain ones. (the alternative is Bachmann but they are badly proportioned and you certainly can't mix the two). The RTR versions are much nicer than the kits, which take a long time to build. Problem is, the red CANADA and the orange/brown Saskatchewan seem to be the most common RTR versions but in real life the original Canadian Wheat Board livery still outnumbers all the others, even if it is now looking very worn. Postage on freightcars from North America seems to be based on how keen the seller is, or isn't, to deal with overseas customers. I'm sure most of them are priced to deter overseas buyers. About £10 should be more than enough to post a single car (even that makes a £20 model pretty expensive) but some of them are quoting postage around the £25 mark and its absurd.

CHRIS LEIGH

Not Really.

Canada Post really really sucks for rates to the UK, i'm sure they are overquoting, but our mail system is very expensive for sending overseas parcels.

-Stephen

Have to agree Canadian postage to the UK is very expensive. I had to ship a (short MK3) to the UK just last September, the cost was $38 and change which worked out to about £25 !! I almost died, I asked the sales clerk if she was joking! It was because it was in a mailer tube and they are handled differently in the system. I shoved it in a jiffy bag and got it down to $17 and change, roughly £11. 

Strangely I can't see the ones in Eastleigh! I've PMed a link. I've also found a Great Northern one if that's of any interest

Thanks tim - One down and one to go - I'd prefer a Canadian one rather than the GN, so I'll keep looking

EDIT - the Eastleigh ones are both Bachmann 

Item number:

Item number:

Most of the Intermountain cylindrical hoppers in my fleet came from eBay. They seem to come up fairly regularly and I've yet to pay more than £14 for one. As Chris said, the red Canada and Saskatchewan brown appear more frequently than others and are usually the cheapest while the orange Wheat Board model seems to attract more interest. One thing to watch when bidding is that earlier models had plastic walkways but they are etched on later models. It's worth keeping an eye on eBay though, I think you'll pick a couple up fairly quickly.

As I said earlier in the post, the models are available at reasonaable prices, but paying more than the original cost for postage tends to shove it into the £30+ bracket, which promptly attracts customs charges and the iniquitous "collection" charge - yes you might get away with it , but £40+ for a single car is a bit steep!  :O  

Thanks tim - One down and one to go - I'd prefer a Canadian one rather than the GN, so I'll keep looking

EDIT - the Eastleigh ones are both Bachmann

Item number:

Item number:

That'll be why, I was ignoring the Bachmann ones

Archived