howes class 66 modification to enable notching

big jim

• RMweb Gold

for those who have seen my class 66 video in the "sound video thread" which has added notching and would fancy the same here's a free upgrade courtesy of bryan, it will only work on the howes class 66.

here is the end result: class 66 with notching

this is a copy of the email from bryan, give it a try and let us know what happens!!

For those with the Howes Class 66, To save the time and cost of sending the loco or decoder in for altering, changing the following 12 CVs to the values shown will enable notching up and down using F9 and F10 respectively, the function keys currently associated with shunt mode and accel decel override.

When reading the CVs some will already be as per the list below, in which case leave them as is.

I have done the list in an easy to follow numerical format rather than missing out the ones that dont need changing. hope it helps someone and saves them postage money!!.

CV 195 = 64

CV 196 = 0

CV 197 = 0

CV 198 = 64

CV 199 = 0

CV 200 = 0

CV 201 = 128

CV 202 = 0

CV 203 = 0

CV 204 = 128

CV 205 = 0

CV 206 = 0

Happy new year to Andy and crew, thanks for the kind remarks, it makes it all worthwhile, Forgive me for not posting directly but I would never get anything done, Big Jim is a great help in that area by posting anything I feel needs to be addressed when I read the threads, such as the sleeper graunching sound recently discussed.

I have a feeling I will be adding that to all future Howes decoders !!

Regards to all

Bryan

Just wondering - does this mean that the standard way that a Howes class 66 is driven remains the same (ie increase and change in engine tone sound linked to acceleration and application of power by means of using the throttle on the controller), or do you have to notch the locomotive when it gets underway?

Archived