Great Central carriage numbers?

I'm working on a rake of GC corridor stock of 1911/1912 design and though I've found numbers for all firsts, all thirds and composites I am struggling somewhat with numbers for brake thirds. 

I don't know the specific carriage diagram but reading 'J G Robinson, A Lifetime's Work' there are a couple of interesting illustrations showing exactly the sort of carriage I am modelling... a five compartment corridor brake third, one built in 1911 and a further six in 1912 and marked up on the GC train diagrams as being for Barry- Newcastle services. 

If anyone knows a source for GC carriage numbers it would be a great help.

There were a number of articles in old issues of the HMRS Journal which covered a lot of what you're after. Vol 4, no 12 included LDECR coaches, coaching stock 1903-1907 and Parker stock; vol 5, no 7 covered coaches between 1910 and 1923. All were written by W.A. Richards.

No 686 was diagram 5A15, built 1911 with 5 six-foot compartments and a "right hand" brake compartment (I think this means that the brake end is on the right as viewed from the corridor side, but I might have got that the wrong way round). Other coaches to the same diagram were 677 and 684. Between 1911 and 1916 the GCR built 19 corridor brake thirds to 8 different diagrams (5A11-18), differentiated by number of compartments (5 or 6), length (60' or 56' for Bournemouth services), handedness and whether fitted with Robinson's "armoured ends".

Jim

a "right hand" brake compartment (I think this means that the brake end is on the right as viewed from the corridor side, but I might have got that the wrong way round

You have the terminology correct. The handing is as viewed from the corridor side and is the end with the brake/van (for brake coaches) or the first-class section (for compos).

Adrian

The GC five compartment brakes were:

Diagram       built      hand       numbers

5A11            1914      L            1478  

5A12            1915      L                98            Armoured

5A15            1911      R             677/84/86

5A16            1913/4   L              196,453/62/96,594,676

Thanks to everybody who helped me out with carriage numbers- I'm pleased to say the carriage is finished...

I bashed it out of an ex-Mainline LMS 57' brake... it's not 100% right (lacking a few windows at the brake end, a few feet too short), but it's fairly convincing I reckon, in the same vein that the old Hornby teaks were good after a fashion.  Certainly it looks the part paired up with the all-first I bashed out of an LMS composite. 

350_zps81f32d40.jpg

351_zps4c9f76cd.jpg

Archived