Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - derailed train

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

I had a couple of hours late this afternoon to start building the boards.

First one went well until I realised that the boards should have been 20 inches wide rather than 24 inches that I got the tops cut at the timber merchants!

Anyway I managed to get the first board up on the legs from Smrzovka. This first board was then used as a workbench to build the other three boards..

It was dark by the time but well worth making use of the fine weather today. It might be a while before much more is done on the boards but at least I can now work on them inside through the winter.

Ian

post-1557-0-56933600-1381087378_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

With the forecast colder weather and shortening daylight in the evenings I managed to make the most of this to cut down the board tops to the correct width and also to drill and fix screws to the framework.

These days I tend to glue the framework together with just screws to hold the framework to the board top. This allows the glue to set at the framework joints leaving any slight twist along the softwood as it is. Once set the screws are fitted to the framework joints ensuring that the boards don't twist.

All 4 boards done.

The next task will be to sand all the edges of the softwood so that they are easier to handle and reduce the risk of splintering.

One task that can be done in the warmth will be the marking of the track on the boards so the areas needing cork underlay can be established.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It was a pleasant afternoon today even if a bit breezy so I took the boards outside to trim the top back to the timber frame then sanded the timber frame edges so that the boards are more comfortable in the hands when being carried.

The legs were fitted to the boards and the three boards that will be scenic were erected for the first time.

Alignment dowels still need to be installed before any track laying can take place but three lengths of Peco flexi track were placed on the boards along with a passenger train.

This gives an idea of the size of the station to be modelled.

We have a few more show this year before the boards are set up in the garage for track laying.

Ian

post-1557-0-90622700-1383499367_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-66853500-1383499403_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

At the weekend I picked up the remaining turnouts and double slip required for the scenic area of the layout from Gaugemaster down in Ford in West Sussex. Hopefully I also have enough flexi track so track laying will probably commence in the next few weeks.

Incidentally there is the old stationmaster house next to Ford station is up for sale. Great location for spending in Gaugemaster and for catching trains plus no other houses overlooking you - just fields.

The downside is that the level crossing sounding might take some getting used to especially late at night. Also its a shame that its too far for me to commute to / from work and is a bit too close to MIL!!

Back on topic, I still cant make up my mind as to which side to make the viewing side. If the road side of the station building is made the viewing side then the tall storage elevator may have to be painted on the backscene  but it thats the viewing side then the elevator might block the view of operations on the layout. I have a few weeks to make up my mind.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Pete

No I don't think it is a repeat question (or at least I cant remember if it is).

I normally use chipboard as its cheaper and from my past experience Chipboard doesn't have the tendancy to shrink as much. Most of the other layouts use 12mm chipboard and have lasted well.

However when I went to my usual timber merchants near Horsham the qualitiy of the chipboard was not good (they appear to be doing far less types of chipboard in that place) so I went for 12mm MDF. Luckily it was in warmer drier weather and it was left in the living room for a  day before assembling the boards so no signs of shrinkage since then.

I don't tend to treat the surface of the MDF (or chipboard).

The frame is 2" by 1" softwood with one central cross member. Once the ply fascia and back scene go on then there is little chance of any twisting / warping of the boards.

The layout will use the same legs as Smrzovka to save on construction time but more importantly storage space.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I had a good look on that website last night.

They also had some TT scale turnout lever stands that I still needed for Smrzovka (Hadn't managed to find enough when in the model shops in the Czech Republic a few years ago to complete all the turnouts).

Also they had an etched kit of the CD track maintenance trolley / speeder that we saw at Dobris last April.

Will see how quick they are at delivering the order but the postage was very reasonable.

Ian

Hello folks, nice to see another Czech layout in UK!

Perhaps, you might find usefull following links related with Dobris (in case you don't found them yet). They are written in Czech, but Google could help with online translation (be carefull it is not correctly done time to time).

Some documentation about Dobris and "Posazavsky Pacifik" - that's a historical nickname of the railroad track passing Dobris

http://www.pacifikem.cz/?inc=210_dob_foto

A lot of pictures for main station building, which was build according to a standardized plans ( type 16/H ) could be found here

http://www.k-report.net/budova-16h/popis-foto/?pismeno=D

They were built on many local tracks in former Austria-Hungary monarchy in the last decade of 19th century and first decade of 20th. You could find them in Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Italy, Ukraine, Romania and Poland. Due to the fact they were not built on main tracks and they kept their local, provential improtance, they are mostly in original shape without large modfications (with few exceptions, of course).

I hope, you will find this useful!

Let me know if you would need some more information about Dobris or Czech railroads.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you VVitty.

Very useful links. Interesting black and white photo showing the narrow gauge wagons and loading structure

yes I use Google translate although as you say it doesn't always translate correctly. I didn't realise that the town had an older name so will try searching under that.

Do you know if they load or unload the timber at Dobris station?

Regards

Ian

Ian,

yes, they did so. It's also documented on satelite pictures here :

http://www.mapy.cz/#!x=14.180767&y=49.790060&z=17&l=15

Perhaps good to highlight there is a timber mill next to the station, having own loading track and area.

The begging of this timber mill is going to far history, as built by Colloredo–Mansfeld manor, although I'm not sure it starts on the today location but current one is there at least for a long time.

210_dob_kolej_2007-04-27_00.jpg

For fans of modern era (2009 +), there is also available photoetched timber wagoon kit - original details could be found there :

http://www.parostroj.net/katalog/nv/formular.php3?ind=192

943-1212.jpg

They were build from the Gbkks (produced in late '80), as CD had thousands of them without use. Interesting change of the outer look, isn't it?

http://www.parostroj.net/katalog/nv/clanky/Rekonstrukce_Gbgkks/Gbgkks.jpg

Gbgkks.jpg

For about city name, it's perhaps a missunderstanding. It was called Dobris for the centuries (well, in very far history, it beguns with Dobricha).

That nickname I've mentioned is used for the railroad itself and is coming from second decade of last century as given by hikers who love it because of wild nature, sceneric views of some part of the railroad and adventures they were looking for during the weekends, leaving city of Prague with daily life behind them. The name is matching the railroad to US wild west stories and westerns due to it. That's why "pacifik" as many US rialroad named by the name of Pacific ocean (Western Pacific RR, Union Pacific RR , Central Pacific RR etc). Posazavsky is an adjective comming from river Sazava, as RR is passing along this river on edges between the river and rocks, using also many bridges and tunels.

It was so popular that people were leaving the Branik station even on the roof of the cabs and train had to stop before first tunnel to ask them to get of it before :-) Trains were so loaded during weekends with nice weather that In some parts of the way train were not able to go up by steam engine power and hikers were asked to get of and help with their manpower for a short time.

Well, that's a century ago, romantic time of the steam :-)

As a last, you could see how a nice kit of coal loading looks like. It is not suitable for CD era, as it was removed from the station in '70 or '80, I'm not sure exactly. Just a kuriozity.

homaly02.jpg

Edited by vvitty
  • Like 4

You welcome :)

I've tried to follow this topic but it seems it does not send an email when there is new post, so if you would need some more information about Czech stations and railroads, drop me a mail and I'll reply. Contact page is in my profile.

Also in case you will have some difficulties to get special kits from small local producers, I think I could help. I meet most of them regulary once a month.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for those links.

Some very useful items when we get to doing more stock to suit the layout.

One item that we does not appear to be readily available in HO are the class 010 trailer cars. Will need quite a few for Dobris.

Ian

Perhaps this could help?

1379-2192.jpg

http://pojezdy.eu/eshop/h0-osobni-vozy/1379-h0-stavebnice-pipojneho-vozu-010-k-motoraku-810.html

There are also pre-colored version available but that's question for request and check.

There is also something for hardcore modelers - full interrior details

843674.jpg

843673.jpg

I'm working on the interrior light for 010/M152 right now. There is example how it looks like on Bap/Bpjo :

http://www.pojezdy.eu/view.php?nazevclanku=osvetleni-vozu-bap-bmto-v-meritku-h0-bramos&cisloclanku=2013020001

• Like 2