Chalk Lane - North Kent Branch Terminus. - NOW CLOSED

Stevethomas6444

Hello all,

For quite a while now I have been planning a basic North Kent branch line terminus set in the late NSE era when the Networkers were brand new. The scenic area will only be 4x1ft and will have a 1 platform station long enough for a 2 car EMU. A chalky embankment and a small road, possibly a village scene depending on space. Being a single track terminus it should keep wiring to a minimum and the installation of the 3rd rail fairly easy.

The basic idea for the layout is to keep things simple and cheap. Construction should start late this week/early next week.

Been planning the scenic section even further and was inspired by the surrounding area of Higham Station on the North Kent Line between Gravesend and Strood. One end will have steep chalky embankments, this is where the track goes into a tunnel, while the other end will be more level. I have thoughts about adding a small stream as well but I'm not at all sure about the Busch water making set.

The chalky embankment will be made using polystyrene blocks with polyfilla to help with the chalky look. It also helps keeping the layout relatively lightweight.

An Hattons order arrived today and I have purchased the board that it will be built on. I have temporarily laid the track with track pins and placed the platform to see how the planned arrangement worked out and it looks perfect! Tomorrow or Friday I will take up the track and place a layer of polystyrene sheet and cork the elevate the track bed a bit for a proposed stream. Photo's will be up once the internet stops refusing to work....

Hello all,

For quite a while now I have been planning a basic North Kent branch line terminus set in the late NSE era when the Networkers were brand new. The scenic area will only be 4x1ft and will have a 1 platform station long enough for a 2 car EMU. A chalky embankment and a small road, possibly a village scene depending on space. Being a single track terminus it should keep wiring to a minimum and the installation of the 3rd rail fairly easy.

The basic idea for the layout is to keep things simple and cheap. Construction should start late this week/early next week.

I wish you lots of luck.

For about the fifth time I'm about to start a BR(S) 3 rail layout in 2FS. To date my attempts at point construction have been so bad that I'm going for a simple diorama.  A stretch of double track in a semi-rural suburban area with some characteristic concrete buildings and maybe a level crossing for visual interest.

A sector plate at each end would let me ring the changes with rolling stock.

No points, no station, just keeping it simple.

There is a 4Cep for passenger operation (and an unmade kit for a 2EPB) plus a Class73 with parcels stock.

I hope I can actually get something operational this time around.

I wish you lots of luck.

For about the fifth time I'm about to start a BR(S) 3 rail layout in 2FS. To date my attempts at point construction have been so bad that I'm going for a simple diorama.  A stretch of double track in a semi-rural suburban area with some characteristic concrete buildings and maybe a level crossing for visual interest.

A sector plate at each end would let me ring the changes with rolling stock.

No points, no station, just keeping it simple.

There is a 4Cep for passenger operation (and an unmade kit for a 2EPB) plus a Class73 with parcels stock.

I hope I can actually get something operational this time around.

I wish you luck on your diorama, sometimes simple is best  :)

Right, an update. 

Chalk Lane's construction has started at long last! I had to make several decision changes due to lack of certain materials. The track layout was altered to include a small curve on the approach to the station to add a bit of interest compared to having just plain straight track. I wanted to raise the trackbed to 1-1.5cm off the board so that I can model a stream going alongside the track without chopping away at the board. I did this using balsa wood blocks for the supports and balsa wood sheeting for the trackbed with a layer of cork above, I nailed and glued it all together for extra strength and so far so good! A little road has been constructed using the same method except for stacking the support pieces on top of each other to make an incline. 

At the moment I have made the basis for the chalk embankment using polystyrene pieces which will have a layer of polyfilla mixed with PVA. It is a slow process but hopefully the end result will look good! 

Here are a few photo's: 

The supports put in place, they get wider where the station will be placed.

IMG_4397+(Copy).JPG

The Balsa Wood sheeting glued and nailed on top. 

IMG_4400+(Copy).JPG

The cork layer was then added then the track was laid using track pins.

IMG_4409+(Copy).JPG

466031 poses for the camera showing the slight curve. 

IMG_4417+(Copy).JPG

The little road now underway. 

IMG_4422+(Copy).JPG

More photo's will follow soon!  :)

More has been done in the past couple of hours with help. 

Adding polyfilla on top of the polystyrene pieces has added quite a bit of weight to the layout although it is still drying. It has made a vast difference to Chalk Lane but it has taken a full 2kg bag of the filler and there is still a bit more needing to be done, I must buy more tomorrow. 

After this then painting will begin! 

• 2 weeks later...

Been a little while since the last post but so much has been done on the layout. 

Landscaping is finished although with 3kg of Polyfilla it has removed the lightweightness quite a bit but Chalk Lane is still very much portable. There was also slight cracking and very slight warping but this was both fixed. The filler has been sanded down and then painted with a dark earth coloured gritty paste before adding grass. 

The station has been added after painting the edging and track has been ballasted and weathered. 

Now for the photo's! 

The basis for the landscaping, polystyrene bits glued roughly in place then with a thick layer of filler on top. It works but adds a lot of weight!

IMG_4436+(Copy).JPG

Cracks did appear a lot but some repair work and the cracks were no more!

IMG_4432+(Copy).JPG

My first attempt at painting the track.

IMG_4778+(Copy).JPG

Chalk cliffs taking shape quite nicely especially after sanding down.

IMG_4780+(Copy).JPG

Painting and extra polyfilling took place a couple of days ago, it made Chalk Lane look rather dark and grim.

IMG_4808+(Copy).JPG

The layout as it is now. Grass was added as well as basic foliage.

IMG_4815+(Copy).JPG

From the station end.

IMG_4816+(Copy).JPG

Chalk cliffs now weathered.

IMG_4818+(Copy).JPG

Is it me or the platform lights are a tad tall? They are bugging me a bit.

IMG_4824+(Copy).JPG

The layout has seen a lot of work being done to it, it's small size is probably the main reason why the progress is so quick  :). I think the lights will look a lot less tall once I get trees put on behind the station. 

Today will see the wooden fence being put down between the track and the stream, you might notice the holes that were drilled yesterday in the photo's. I aim to finish the concrete fencing for the station within the next day or so but it is tedious. Also covering up some ''untidy'' areas with plants  :)

A little update on scenic work: 

Fencing has been added between the trackbed and the stream. I admit that I made a slight boo-boo when drilling the holes so some sections don't join up so well but this will be covered by some foliage.

IMG_4827+(Copy).JPG

I have also been adding more foliage around the trackbed to give it the look of a rural station. All that needs doing there is adding the 3rd rail. 

IMG_4832+(Copy).JPG

Thank you for the kind comments :) 

I have installed the station fence (Ratio concrete fence kit) and it made the lights look a lot less taller thank god.

The stream has finally been filled with the resin mix and I'm hoping it sets okay but if not then I can cover it up with bushes and say it is overgrown. I have also bought a woodland scenics tree kit just to get the wooded area started, taller trees are needed but that can wait. 

Steve,

Layout is looking very good, I do think the lamps are too tall. We usually have 5m drop down columns in most of Kent. I agree a small platform shelter would be very likely on a station like this. Also, a modern buffer stop might have been fitted to suit Networkers like the pic below of Orpington.

post-1373-0-33798300-1367856279_thumb.jpg

You have captured the look of Higham. Well done.

Cheers.

Guest oldlugger

Looking promising Steve. Will you add third rail, which will add to the southern atmosphere? I agree with Paul about the lamp height, I also think some longer rough grass with a more summer burnt out look (Noch for example) and bushes would enhance the layout enormously.

All the best

Simon

Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions :) 

Steve,

Layout is looking very good, I do think the lamps are too tall. We usually have 5m drop down columns in most of Kent. I agree a small platform shelter would be very likely on a station like this. Also, a modern buffer stop might have been fitted to suit Networkers like the pic below of Orpington.

attachicon.gifOrpington 08-08-07 (13) PWa.jpg

You have captured the look of Higham. Well done.

Cheers.

The lamps have been bugging me since I installed them, they are Ratio kits and I think they are specifically street lamps hence their height. Bachmann's announced station lamps look good but they are taking their time releasing certain items. As for the buffer stop, Chalk Lane is set in 1993 just as when 466's were entering service and running side by side with EPB's so the old style buffer stops survived on some lines? 

Looking good Steve, 

It's strange all you have is those red lamppost and the era has been captured.

Look forward to further updates,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Indeed! I have even added a repainted litter bin on the platform to give the station more of an NSE look to it :)

Looking promising Steve. Will you add third rail, which will add to the southern atmosphere? I agree with Paul about the lamp height, I also think some longer rough grass with a more summer burnt out look (Noch for example) and bushes would enhance the layout enormously.

All the best
Simon

Third rail will be added in the near future but I am dreading installing it. I will have a look round for long rough grass when I do the next shop :) 

Guest oldlugger

Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions :) 

The lamps have been bugging me since I installed them, they are Ratio kits and I think they are specifically street lamps hence their height. Bachmann's announced station lamps look good but they are taking their time releasing certain items. As for the buffer stop, Chalk Lane is set in 1993 just as when 466's were entering service and running side by side with EPB's so the old style buffer stops survived on some lines? 

Indeed! I have even added a repainted litter bin on the platform to give the station more of an NSE look to it :)

Third rail will be added in the near future but I am dreading installing it. I will have a look round for long rough grass when I do the next shop :)

Hello Steve,

Here is the Noch grass I was on about; it's very versatile and can be used as it is or lightly painted with a brush using Humbrol enamel paints (diluted with thinners) for a variety of subtle brown or green shades:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noch-07111-Static-Grass-Wild-Grass-Beige-40g-Ideal-for-Gras-Master-/221206088209?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3380e90a11

If you need any help with your third rail just ask. The Peco system is pretty straight forward; in general the Southern Railway placed the white porcelain insulators on every fifth sleeper, but variations happened frequently. You just need to drill small holes close to the ends of the plastic sleepers (try to keep all the holes in line so that the running rail and conductor rail are parallel) big enough for the Peco insulators, that have a spigot attached to the base. It is probably easiest to thread up a series of insulators on the Peco conductor rail first and then ease them into their rough positions on the rail corresponding to the pre drilled holes in the sleepers, then applying a small amount of super glue to each spigot in turn and pushing them into the holes one at a time. It's much harder to thread the conductor rail with the insulators already attached to the sleepers. Here's a very useful site about third and fourth rail that might help you:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/russelliott/3rd-4th.html

Cheers

Simon

Chalk Lane as it is now. The stream is well underway but more layers will be applied to give it some depth. Tree's have started to appear although they are quite small, bigger tree's will be added soon enough. The station is nearly complete, just benches, signs/posters and a shelter needed now as well as replacement lights when Bachmann release theirs. 

IMG_5852+(Copy).JPG

The stream has hit a problem. After applying the second layer last night, weird cracks appeared throughout as it set. This could be due to the flat being a moisture trap or admittedly, I was too impatient waiting for the first layer to set properly.  :scratchhead:

IMG_5854+(Copy).JPG

I'm adding the third layer tomorrow evening which would hopefully fix this. Hopefully being the main word in that sentence!  :laugh: 

Archived