Chalk Lane - North Kent Branch Terminus. - NOW CLOSED

Stevethomas6444

• 2 months later...

It has been a while (again) since the last update. Also the photo's seem to have disappeared  :scratchhead:  it is because I transferred my blog (and photo's) to my other Google account and the photographs just went. I decided to start up a new blog on Wordpress as I don't have time to sort out the old one just yet. The link can be found here: http://stevensmodelworld.wordpress.com/ :)

Chalk Lane has seen major changes in the past two days. It has bugged me on how long it was left in a barren state, it has been months since I have initially started to overhaul the layout. I'll let the photographs do the explaining.... :)

My first attempt at painting the buffer stop, quite proud of it to be honest! :)

img_0287.jpg?w=1000&h= 

The new road section nearly complete.

img_0295.jpg?w=1000&h=

Close up of the roadworks scene, a common feature in Kent!

img_0290.jpg?w=370&h=

Stream has been done again but as before, it has shown cracks  :scratchhead:  I think it is the water product that's at fault....

img_0292.jpg?w=370&h=

The station itself almost finished, few more bits to add yet.

img_0294.jpg?w=1000&h=

We're moving again next month (2nd time in a year) to Beverley for a couple of reasons, the main one being that Bridlington isn't the right town for younger adults who want to get on with life. This means packing things up once again and that includes building a makeshift wooden box for Chalk Lane. Last time we moved, we made a large cardboard box big enough to fit the layout in and it was covered with bubble wrap to ensure it didn't get damaged during the moving process. This time, I want to make a wooden box to fully ensure it will be safe this time round. 

Before it gets packed away, I will refit the homemade backscene over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to throw the 'finish the layout when we move' idea out of the window and done some work on the layout :) Foliage and trees have been added as well as other little bits here and there to give the layout a rural North Kent feel to it.

The station is more complete, I decided against the modern lights and slightly modified the Bachmann concrete lampposts, I think they look alright and they fit in well :)

img_0380.jpg

Trackside workers, along with general rubbish like sleepers and bits of rail were added at the 'London end'.

img_0381.jpg

Roadworks being typical of North Kent has caused inconvenience for the village traffic. 

img_0389.jpg

2EPB 6238 rests before heading out again on a Gravesend bound service.

img_0394.jpg

• 5 months later...

It has been a while since Chalk Lane has seen any attention since moving last August. It has a near-perfect home in a secure shed in the garden which I have named the ''railway room'' :) 

I decided recently just to keep to one layout/diorama which is Chalk Lane (I've failed to get other projects off the ground) and that means it will be an ongoing project. At the moment I'm working on repainting a Peco bus shelter into NSE red as well as a couple of Bachmann grit boxes to give the station more of an NSE look to it. The concrete lamps have also been painted and installed on Chalk Lane.

I've just realised that it has been nearly 2 years since work on Chalk Lane has started, how time flies!  

• 2 weeks later...

Now time for some photo's showing the evolution of Chalk Lane :) 

The station has been given the NSE treatment, the lamps have been given some red paint. Also the end ramp has been covered in scatter to cover up the mess I made months ago whilst working on the modelling clay.

img_0844-copy.jpg?w=689&h=459

The station has been given a shelter for the very few passengers. It is a basic Peco bus shelter that had its base taken off and painted red. You may also spot the presence of a grit box :)

img_0841-copy.jpg

466031 arrives at Chalk Lane with a service from Gravesend. 

img_0851-copy.jpg

466031 stands at the station before setting off for Gravesend. This is the first train to run on Chalk Lane in quite a while and even in freezing cold conditions in the shed, still works fine :) 

img_0848-copy.jpg

Thanks David :) 

My next plan is to add more foliage on the Chalk face and maybe scratch-build some low relief cottages/houses to give the indication that Chalk Lane station serves a small village. The road will get it's suitable markings and signs very soon and I'm working on a bus stop for the local services :)  

Like the way Chalk Lane is coming on and glad you have a shed to work in ,regards the cold when I had my lovely shed put up my electric man found a greenhouse heater which plumbed in provides a good warmth and sometimes I have to turn it off for a while!

• 4 months later...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but today the penny dropped with an almighty clang and I've decided to call it a day with railway modelling, at least for quite some time. This is due to work commitments as well as other things so it leaves very little/no time to engage in any hobbies. Oh how I do miss being a kid, things were so much more simple then! 

I'm not getting rid of Chalk Lane or any of the rolling stock as they mean a lot to me, but they will be placed into permanent storage until that day comes when I have much more time (I'd give that 40 years if I stay at my current job). 

Thanks to everyone who has given me advice and kind words over the past two years, it has been fun building and rebuilding Chalk Lane :) 

Archived