Class 40 coupling height

Simon Moore

Hi all,

Yesterday I picked up a secondhand Bachmann class 40. It's one of the earlier ones with the tank missing between the bogies.

I cannot grumble at the running of the loco it's fantastically smooth & I really am happy with the model.

What I am curious about is the coupling height. I've sat it next to the current scotrail liveried class 47 & the 40's coupling is sat a hell of a lot heigher than the 47.

Can anyone tell me if my 40 has the correct couplings fitted of do I need to contact Bachmann for some replacement tension locks??

The class 40 tension lock is exactly 15mm from floor to the top of the bar whilst the class 47 is 10mm

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

You'll probably need the 'cranked' version of Bachmann's coupling. If I recall the class 45 needs that type too,and the b.beam is similar.

It's Bachmann part number 36-027, readily available from stockists.

The model would originally have been supplied with a cranked coupling with quite a step in it. Whether available as spares is another thing tho as never seen other backs with such a step. Pig to convert to kadees which is a job still waiting mine...

As already mentioned takes the cranked tension lock coupler sold as a spare in packs of ten, part 36-027.

My cheap and dirty solution to fit a kadee, use a Number 5 which (by happy chance) comes out dead right for height on the Kadee gauge in my experience, when inserted level into overheight Bachmann coupler pockets. I slightly file down the sides of the pivot end of the Number 5, then use a matching shaped piece of steel slightly heated to melt the socket opening to allow the Number 5 to go in far enough, then tack it in with superglue.

Archived