Muir-Hill Type Loco in 009 for Portram chassis.

• RMweb Premium

I had a spare Kato Portram chassis left after an attempt at rewheeling and regaugeing its twin didn't end well, so I decided to build a small loco in 009 to use it. This is what I came up with.

post-3457-0-57109900-1365121163.jpg

I fitted a small DCC chip as I wanted it to have a working headlight, I plan to build a small adit type working diorama for it, paired with the Narrow Planet Baguley that I have yet to build, and a few wagons.

Alex.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

It is basically a 0.8mm perspex box, balanced on a Portram chassis and topped with a 3D printed tractor (bought from Finney & Smith).  An article about the build can be found in Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review No 95, obtainable from Greystar Publications.

I have since made a Portram powered skip loco to keep it company.

Alex

post-3457-0-10390100-1413642484.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello again, would you be able to tell me where you got the couplings/bufferbeams from? 

Alex

Hi Alex, they were made from Perspex, a single block rounded on a sanding wheel and the slots then were then milled out. I've seen similar ones made from sandwiching styrene sheet - long then short pieces filed into the curved shape.

Alex.

Archived